hi-point owners?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 30, 2009.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    any high point owners?

several folks here in town have bought various models lately. i got a 40 s&w for $189.99 and liked it. little top heavy from the cast slide but the price was great. with the lifetime warrenty i didnt hesitate.

later i found a 9mm carbine rifle for $199.99. it was catching the old casing every 3-4 shot. the gunsmith at the store is fixing it now. 3 of us went in and all of us bought one. thay had 5 of them and 2 after we left lol. the other two work fine. mine was just the extractor.

i just got a 380 last week. $159.99 came with hard case too. it works fine. i think i will get the entire collection.

theres a 45apc 40 s&w 9mm 380 and a 9mm carbine and 40 carbine.

my grandfather got the 40 45 and 380. cousin got the 40. his dad got the 9mm. my other cuz has quickly found the 9mm carbine 9mm pistol 45 and 380.
    and other buddie got the 9 carbine and pistol. so far all work just fine and only one that had trouble was my carbine wich is being repaired free. for the price there fun to shoot.

i got a second clip for both pistols at gunshops. both my buddies ordered lazers for there carbines from highpoint and both were fed-exed in only 2 days from order to there door. im putting my lazer on as soon as i get it back from the shop.:cool2:

trouble now is ammo. luckly ive been watching real close at every wal-mart i pass. ive found a few here and there. got abouy 200-500 rounds for each.

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont have one but it sounds like a great deal,should be alot of fun to pop off some rounds with those and you know those probably wouldnt make a bad home defense weapon either.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just put a bsa lazer on my 40 cal an hr ago. pistol 2 mags lazer and hard case. $250 total.:wink:

ya i keep a 50 box of wolf 180 grn with it in the closet. now its effective in total darknes.:cool2:

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have one. it is fine for my ranch truck and for taking everywhere i don't want my high priced guns going. it shoots plenty good. for the price i cannot complain about it.

5. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry I thought you were talking about the old browning hi power.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya there top heavy and somewhat crude in appearence but for the money i cant complain.there cheap and they function. and thats what i want.

7. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I've fired several of these pistols in 3 or 4 calibers. They are cheap, top heavy, and somewhat reliable (will quality ammo). The trigger pulls are extremely lousy. Perhaps an O.K. plinker or defense gun for somebody on a tight budget. If your buying a pistol to shoot a lot, there are much better buys. I'd have to say the same for the rifle. It goes bang, but accuracy is questionable, and it is reliable only if kept clean, I think. If my life depended on a gun, this would NOT be my choice. On the other hand, your not ever without a boat anchor!

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    heres my pistols. the top heavyness does help with recoil imo. takes the bite out of the 40 with the weight. ya theres better buys out there but for the money hey. im gonna get all 4 pistols. for a grand i can get all 4 and the rifle. what the hey.

also getting ready to buy an old russian bolt action 7.62x54 rifle. gonna restore it to modern day. try and get the barrel powdercoated and sand and finish the stock black and glossy. scope? and bayonnet? for something to do. there $119.00. not bad either. he guarentees all guns to work or he'll fix em.

and weight or looks of a gun never made a crook run i bet. a clip of 40's flying his way does.:smile2: havent had much shooting with the rifle yet but the pattern was ok. putting a scope and lazer on it soon as its done. the pistols? i was drilling a floating stick at the creek time after time. ive had no accuracy problems.

9. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    My bud uses a HP 9mm as his main carry pistol and he loves it. I've never shot one before but my friend loves his. I think they get a bad rap because they are so inexpensive.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    so far from what ive read on some gun forums is every body that has one likes it everyone that has a $500 or $1000 gun hates them lol.

a guy here in town said after 100 rounds there junk. and hes never owned one lol. whats up with that hahaha. and if anyone has one thats broke and they complain thats there fault. there covered by a lifetime no questions asked warrenty. send it in for repair and stop complaining lmao. i want to shoot my 380 today. those darn shells are higher than 40's and 45
    's. whats up with that.

i do know one thing. if my shop catches fire im running for the shelter. the top shelf is 3 deep too.

anyone have 9's for sale lol. there like trying to catch butterflies with a thinble. i found 200 20 rounds in a month. and one box is 3-d relaods that have a lead bullet. new ones are gone after 30 min of hitting the shelf.

11. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Yeah that's the key right there. It's a shame but a lot of folks are brand snobs. My bud has put WAY more than 100 rounds through his and he still loves it. Now he did buy it because it was all he could afford but now I don't know that he would trade it out for anything else. He can hit with it and it's safe to shoot and that's what counts at the end of the day.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey ide love to have a 1911 kimber Aegis II new cropped hammer conceal 9mm with thin rosewood grips satin silver frame matte slide. but i dont have $1300 to invest in one gun right now.:sad2:

13. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Those Kimber 1911s are really nice. Probably one of the most ergonomic pistols I've ever held. I almost bought one a year or so ago but decided on an Armalite AR-10 instead.

14. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    hi point 995 cAL 9MM. awesome gun imo. Might need a battle ready gun in the future, you never know.:big_smile:

15. talleymonster

talleymonster New Member

State:
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Hi Points tend to be a heated subject.

There are some that will swear by them, and there are others who wouldn't use one as a boat anchor. If you swing by the hi-point forums, anybody who owns one will swear by them. In most cases the guys bashing them are the gun snobs who only own 1000$+ 1911's. (not a stab at the 1911, as it happens to be my favorite gun)

My personal opinion of them is that they are very functional guns. I have fired a few of them. They may not be as pretty as a Sig...they tend to be be heavy and rather blocky, but they do the job. Also, they are 100% American made and they have a bombproof warranty. I may not carry one as my primary sidearm, but I definitely wouldn't mind owning one or more of them. If I happen to see one at the next gun show I just may pick one up.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Hey Jeremy, I hear ya. I dont two guns with the same name on them. I do know how to shoot them tho. :wink: As far as ammo I'm doing good, I started stocking up years ago. :cool2:

17. Mosin

Mosin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not to knock the hi points, but S&W has been having some good sales on the Sigma's over the last year. I don't think you can beat it , even if a hi point is $100 less. The trigger sucks but can be fixed with a new striker spring and removing another spring.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    my new ruger p-95 kicks the hi point guns under the rug for weight feel and just plain spitting out bullets without flaw but i wouldnt want to toss a $320 gun in a boat and head down river. but a $150 one would be a little more expendable.

19. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I agree 150% with you on this post. BUT
    I was at a Sheriff's shooting range when they had there qualifications and Hi Point was there with there weapons trying the get them approved for the deputies to carry and Colt was there as they were the gun already chosen. After 3 rounds of qualifications there was not a Hi point rifle qualified and almost all of them were at the mfg table getting repaired. None of them went through the shooting course without problems. The shoot was 1 magazine of ammo on target standing, on the bench and laying down. There were MANY Colts not qualified also but they were the shooters problems and not the guns. After 4 rounds the decision was made that the department was not going to allow them to be carried in the cars.
    I have never owned one but I have shot there 380 (My dad had one), 9mm and 40 (Both my brother in laws) and all were about the same. Bad trigger and they would jam about every mag.
    For them money and for a throw around gun they are cheap. For a concealed carry or primary carry weapon they are large and not reliable enough, after all my life is worth more than the $200 that they cost.
    I do not have a bunch of money to throw around on guns BUT I use them for hunting for food and protection so I want the best I can get even if I have to save for awhile. I have a Rock Island 45 that I have a total of $250 into it. I did some work for a old knock around Taurus 38 revolver and had it for a few years and traded it for the 1911 with the cash. I have a Remington Sendero that is worth a little over $1500 that I got trading and have a little over $400 in it and I got it new so it can be done. It just takes a little time and you can get a MUCH better gun for less money.

20. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have owned the .45 cal and i have two of the 9mm carbines. as far as the pistols go, i didnt care for them that well. it was fun to shoot but all guns are. i would not count on it to save my life, but it is a good cheep gun for someone to learn or just play with. the carbines on the other hand i really like. i keep one on my fourwheeler, or when i am working around on the farm i keep it with me to shoot coy dogs and the like. it is a lot of fun to shoot also. i would like to get an extended mag for it, but i dont think they make it. my over all opinion of High Point Weapons is for the money they are ok to shoot, but i wouldn't use it as my only self defense gun. JMO