Hi-Point carbine & an ammo?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by need4fishing, Sep 17, 2005.

1. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

i have read an many sites and here about the hi-point brand being bad, that the guns jam alot... but thats for the handguns. i have read on different sites that the carbines are very good and have little to no problems with them. i am asking since i found a 9mm & 40s&w at a local gun shop, and i have been thinking of getting a carbine or another type of rifle to maybe go hunting with or just for fun at a range. would like something to go hog hunting, and maybe deer(not with the prices i have found for leases this year$1000+ for a day, or 750 per gun is mainly what i have seen in the papers here) was thinking a 40 would be best of the 2 for hunting, but 9 with hydrashok should be just as good and the 9 would be better on the wallet to go target practice....
    ammo wise my friend tells me to stay away from wolf unless i can find it in brass(have only seen online) since the metal casings wear something out in the reloading process in the guns? i have only used remington in my ruger MKIII6 22lr going to get some cci mini mags, and maybe some sub-sonic, and maybe couple other brands to see what shoots best in my gun. if i got the 9mm i would most likely use the same as my friend in his xd9 the bulk winchester since its like $12 for 100rnds. if wolf isnt a bad brand for semi-autos i would use wolf for fun in the 40s&w and hydrashok for hunting/personal defense.
    i would also like to know some good hunting calibers if one of those carbines wouldnt be good for what i need/want it for. im just starting my collection of guns and next on my list is either bigger caliber handgun or rifle
    thanx for anyones input

2. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

thanx for the info on that, the last time i asked about hi-points on the other forum, asked about the pistols, and all i heard was go for something of a better brand, they are cheap & jam all the time... i have thought about getting the 40s&w for a personal protection but im short on the $$ to afford enough ammo to go learn to shoot it accuratly like i did my ruger. 1st time at the range with it, put about 230 rounds thru it between me & my friend. and got it broken in, and learned how it shot, and i was getting pretty acurate at 7 & 15 yards

3. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

this is from other board "Hi-point weapons are sub quality product and thus there cheap pricing, they are mostly plastic and certainly not designed for hunting applications"
    i have thought about their guns and would like some more opinions of them, not just the usual they are cheap in price so they cheap in quality, but would like it from someone who has owned/knows someone who owns & shoots them.
    personal protection is not where u get cheap i know, but if they are just as good as a more expensive brand thats all i need. i know they are no colt, or ruger or nothing. me & my friend had thought about getting the carbines to maybe get in some hog hunting sometime maybe? but prolly mostly for rec. shooting.

4. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    I own 2 Hi-Point 9mm pistols and have not had a single problem. If you ever do have a problem with them take them to the dealer. They will fix it for free.