Hi Mountain Jerky Cure question?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by ozzyso44, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I have used Backwoods jerky cure for years and had great results. Got some Hi Mountain Jerky Mix for gift. My goodness did it turn out salty. I followed directions to a T. It calls for 2 full tablespoons and 2 teaspoons of cure per 4 lbs of game. Too bad I mixed up all five flavors that came in my gift and have them marinating in this salty mixture.

Anybody ever had this experience? Did you just cut back on the cure? The cure in the Backwoods is just a tiny packet. I'm sick thinking that I ruined 20 lbs of deer.

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Thanks for the warning, I just bought a dehydrator today, from a 2nd hand store to try it out. I'm thinkin it will work, but will be slow since its 275 watts. I never did it before, so I didn't want to spend lots of money on a new one. I got to get a jerky recipe to try out. I will not put too much salt in it on my first batch.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont even mess with commercial mixes,Just pour a beer in a bowl,then start adding ingrediants till it suits your taste[the beer as a base tenderizes ] I been doing mine this way for years in a dehydrator.There are a bunch of recipes in the 'cookbook ' too.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use high mountain products all the time. I never had any problems with it really. are you sure you weighed it out correctly? Use the right measuring spoons? I always make big batches out of ground meat, and let it cure at least overnight. I've found another product that tastes much better though. It's a shore lunch brand. They sell it at menards and other places. It tastes much better than the high mountain cures.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use high mountain all the time and it always turns out good.

6. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used High mountain this year for mine also and it all came out good, i did 3 different flavors in a cheapy dehydrator.

I wonder if mixing the different kinds is giving you the salty taste??

I try the High Mountain again before giving up on it i have good success with it.

7. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I am doing whole muscle meat if that makes a difference.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use High Mountain alot, and only for solid muscle meat. I like it...but it is kinda salty. I have gotten to where I don't use their spice anymore, I just use the cure, and mix up my own spices. Sometimes, I dry marinate it for a day, then make a wet marinade and soak it for another day. I never make it the same way twice. I've tried several times to make some hot jerky. For some odd reason, it never turns out hot no matter how much cayenne or hot sauce I put on it. I guess next time I'll have to use habanero sauce. If that don't work, I'll wait 'till my bhut jalokias are done, and dry some of those out and grind it up to put on there. Don't know why I can't get it hot.