Hi everyone, I am new to La.

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by cataholic, Jul 1, 2008.

1. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am new to La. and would like any pointers for potential catfish spots I just moved here and wouild be very greatful , I have been fishing a few times and have caught loads of reds and specsthe biggest red so far was 28 inches long and the biggest spec was 16 inches but no cats bigger then 2 lbs :eek:oooh: I live around houma I am willing to drive a few hours away to catch some bigger cats thanks for all the help

Looking forward to all the replies , and I hope every one has a great safe fourth of july

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Welcome to Louisiana! I am from the north west side of the state so I cannot help much with the coon a$$ end of the state. I am sure some of the brothers down there will be very helpful though. I try to get down south at least once a year to chase the reds.

3. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the site Jason.I fish mostly the Red River in North Louisiana but I have heard of some good cats coming out of the Ouachita and the Mississippi.Sorry I can't help you much.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Don't know about that area, but I'm sure the brothers/sisters here will take good care of you

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC Jason.

If we took all the knowledge from all the members here and put it all together we would have a full volume encyclopedia of catfishing:eek:oooh::wink:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Jason!

7. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC, Jason! I'm from the Breaux Bridge area, which is about hour away! You are in some of the best catfishing area's in the country! Do you have a boat? I don't know all the area's, but I have fished many bass tournaments down there. I know you probably have heard of the Bayou Black area. Oh yea before I forget buy yourself a good GPS if you don't have one already, you will get lost down there without one! Just about anywhere the Intracoastal waterway passes there are giant blue cats! 20 to 60 lb cats are very common! They say Lake Decade is slap full of cats with big mom-ma's all over in there! There are some members from around there that will help you out a lot better then I can, hell some might even take you out there! Morgan City also has some extreme catfishing! Just get you a map, and follow the Intracoastal Waterway, there's ton's of eater's and ton's of rod busters! Good luck and keep us informed how you do!

8. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I go fishing with a good friend that has a boat but he isn't into catfishing all that much "yet":wink: I am trying to "lure" him away from the reds lmao!!
    can't wait to hook into some rod busters :smile2: .
    Hey katfishing Cajun ,I have heard of bayou black :smile2: I live around bayou blue!! I don't want to get any of your secret spots and was looking at some of the intercoastal waterway and omg its huge lol any particular structure I should look for and what works down here for baiting the big blues ?? shad ?

anyone know of any other spots feel free to give a fellow cat man a little advise feel free :wink:

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Hey, welcome to the BOC. I fish the Vermilion bay marsh south of Lafayette and I'd have to say run/gun would be the best tactic. Look for moving water and if you get nothing within 10-15minutes, move. Fresh cut mullet, finger mullet, shrimp, crabs, are the way to go. I personally like mullet because if crabs get to it, you still have bait after reeling in the crab.
    Just be careful of barges and crewboats in the ICW. I had a run-in with a crew boat that could've turned out VERY bad, but I got real lucky. Trust me, hitting 4-5ft wake in a 14ft. flat bottom is scary sh!t! If you see wake coming, try to run into an inlet, DO NOT get near the shore, the wave will swell higher. Also when barges go through the ICW, they pull lots of water with them. Shallow areas along it will have water sucked out from them, possibly leaving you stuck in the mud temporarily, only to have another boat come by and waves pound over the hull.

Also, in my opinion, redfish meat is wayyy overrated! I'll take catfish over reds any day of the week! Good luck!!:tounge_out:

10. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Welcome, Cataholic. hope you enjoy the sight. glad to see you here.

11. joneugene

joneugene New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Wellcome to the boc I am from Houma we fish up and down the intercostal between Houma and Morgan City. Orange grove, 70 mile canal or all very good spots. With out a boat you just have to find a place on the intercostal that you can git to. Right now I don't have a boat ether so i know how it feels not to have one hopefully mine will be back up in a mouth or two.