Hi Catfishermen

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by LloydTheFisherman, Jul 8, 2009.

1. LloydTheFisherman

LloydTheFisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I have done it, I have caught my first real catfish that I plan to eat. I caught 4-12" Channel Cats. I filleted them and to my amazement there is not much meat there. I mean it is double or maybe triple what I get from blugill, but what size catfish do I need to get those filletes like the ones at Schnucks?

I caught four other fish one of which I believe is a crappie and drum.

I know, I like like crappie chips and bluegill chips and catfish out of schnucks, but, I need bigger fillets from my catfish. I would like some that are just like the ones in schnucks. What size catfish do I need to achieve this?

:cool2:

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Lloyd.

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    i dont have a answer but im sure u will get one shortly, WELCOME TO THE BOC :big_smile:

4. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the BOC Lloyd, and congrats on the fish.

5. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    welcome to the BOC, I think that 4 to 8# fish have very good fillets and are easy to clean also.

6. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Welcome to BOC Lloyd. You will need to catch 3 to 5 lb channels to get the size fillet you see at Schnucks markets. Believe me I see the Schnucks fillets all the time. I work for them at the cold storage distrubution center.
    Now if your catching them in the river and want them to taste more like farm raised catfish. I do this, soak them in salt water over night using about two or three tablespoons of salt in your bowl. It takes out some of the earthy taste out of river catfish. Some others here may have another way to do this.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ya gona need to get 5 to 10 lb cats for good fillets. Just make shure you trim off all the red and grey fat meat and on the channels the yellow meat strip off the top. You get some blues or flats ya might not eat channels again lol. Blues seem to dress out nicer to. Congrats on the channles they are funn to catch. A good catfish to filllet would be around 16 to 21 inches long. I use andys fish fry ya get at wal-mart. Best I found yet for fryen fish.

8. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    When you get into the bigger fish in the 8-10 lb. range and bigger you can also get a good size cut of meat out of the belly, and there is also a good chunk on the backstraps above the rib cage. Go to YouTube and check out the videos they have for cleaning catfish. Very helpful if you're new to it. WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. Looks like they answered you question. I prefer 4 to 8 lb.ers. I dont skin them, I fillet them off the body then lay the fillet skin down and slice the meat off the skin. Then trim all red and yellow stuff off. Andes here too.

10. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Personally I like them in the 5-8 lb. range for eaters. Keep after and you'll find your size of preference. Welcome to the BOC where you'll find a 20 lb'er is just a sammich to some of these guys:big_smile::big_smile: Stay safe and good fishing!!!

11. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    Welcome to BOC

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile: thanks for the recipe earl !!!!!!!!!!!

I got some fish thawing out as we speak im gonna fix tomorrow :wink:

ill try it out buddy

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lloyd Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

14. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC from Atchison, Kansas!

15. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome Lloyd, where did ya catch the fish at?

16. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A good size would bee from 4 - 8 pounds. It wont be long and you'll find out.

17. LloydTheFisherman

LloydTheFisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I really want to thank you for all the great replies. I have learned something already. I feel very welcomed here and this is the best fishing forum I have been to.

I have a 6# line, I guess I will have to go up a bit My rod says up to 8# and my reel says up to 6#. Guess that means a new reel up to 8#

Again, I just want to say thank you guys for all the great replies.

:big_smile:

18. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    It can be done with 6lb line in open water, plenty of line, good drag setting and time, but it would be tough with a large fish. Once while fishing for Bluegill in a slough on the mississippi I landed a 12lb Flathead on a fly rod with 4lb leader. To this day I believe the only reason I boated the fish is because I though I wouldn't. So I never got excited. However Lloyd, a little heaver rig might be a good idea.:big_smile:

19. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Welcome to the BOC Lloyd.:wink:

20. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC. Congrats on the catch. You ask whats a good size in fillets it would be from the 4-8 pound range or higher. That's when the big fillets are there.