Hi: An introduction from a new...

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by postbeetle, Sep 15, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello. My name is John. I am a little new to this forum. I would however like to contribute in whatever way possible to make our community more than it is.

I am a retired Veterinarian amongst other things. Almost 30 years of dedication to members of our animal kingdom. I have seen a lot of animals come and go. I am starting a Column on pet care. If you are interested or could offer me some advice on what you might want please PM me with your thoughts. My light is always on Try me anytime.

I have a discussion on how to muzzle dogs. A good discussion, sometimes a difficult thing to do and sometimes not. It is just in the technique.

Thank you for your replies in advance.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Boy, this is neat, our own Vet., I guess most of us are too far away for house calls. So, cyber doc. here is my animal problem.

I have a 2 3/4 year old Jack Russell and she has been gnawing at her feet, mainly between the toes on all four feet. This is the first year she has had this problem. What do you recommend ?

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    tell me something, John, what is your thoughts on a shock collar to train dogs? it is certainly effective, but is it humane?

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My Mr Mac. the first one out of the chute and Mr Phil has his gate unlatched as I speak. Two very good first questions. Mr Mac I shall offer up some advice to you sometime today. Mr Phil, shock collars are a problem for me. I have seen them used for many years. They have their place, but like so many things in life it is the person who controls them that can most often be the problem. Some people just should not be allowed to have the button in their hand. Has a lot to do with how they were raised.

Will talk about that at some other time.

Thanks John (TOFF)

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i love this something i can post in

i went to cal poly for 2yrs

but have 20yrs experience working on large animals and dogs i would love to pick your brain a bit on the new drugs and complain about old ones i never liked

ps i just casted my pups leg he got run over by my kid on her bike and i gave him baby asprin and 5cc of pen g for any infection he might get 5 days i am planning for and also keeping him locked up so he wont move to much

any advice will help

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    p.s. im old school my dad worked with horses and cattle all his life and he taught me how to do basic operations even before i went to school

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dear John: I have a 10 year old Yorkie who is spoiled rotten. She has trained me over the years to jump at her every incessant demand. She is selfish and only thinks of herself. But she is a loyal companion. Should I try to change the status quo and show her I am the boss or should I let it be and be content serving her?

Thanks.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    John, I also have a jack russell. She is two years old and the problem she has is itching. Im not sure if she is allergic to something like grass or or bugs or what it is. She runs loose when she is outside so she picks up ticks at times but we keep Pro meris on her and they die if they do get on her.

She is also pretty brissely haired haired on her back and is sheding it off now so maybe that has something to do with it? She does seem to bite and itch her back the most, we check and theres no bugs so I think it may be more of either the hair or allergic to something.

We have given her baths in a little skin so soft in the past and it seems to help. Is there something else that would work.

Attached Files:

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    John, What does TOFF mean? Simple definition would be good. Thanks.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My buddies German Sheppard has a bit of Mississippi leg hound in him. Should I just let him finish? :wink: :crazy:

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Hey John, nice to meet you....:roll_eyes:. Anyways, is there a separate column for animal related conversation, or is this the appropriate place to post any questions or banter? I'll go look around and see. You should have your own section if you don't already. Would that interfere with your retirement plan?

I don't have any pet related issues at the moment, but we...and Kasha do appreciate your insight in the past. Especially when she ate the superglue. That one really worried me, and you set our minds at ease. Now it is to be laughed at. :smile2:

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Kind of a question for ya MR New-Old John.
    Mange mites - Can a dog be more susceptible than other dogs? I have several dogs and a cat. One mixed breed (the best of all breeds) has to constantly be medicated against these, while not one of the other pets has ever had a single case. In the past, when I missed a couple of doses, those mites start in on him, but only on top of his back, down by the hips. He ends up biting himself to relieve the itching, until it's infected.
    I use Revolution on him, as it is about all I have found that works. Helps that it also covers all kinds of fleas, mites, heartworm etc. etc..

13. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Welcome to the BOC. always good to have a Veterinarian on hand. Hope they don't bury you in questions. I enjoyed having a pet store for a decade or so. Enjoy the BOC. Great to meet you!
    :0a23:​

14. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Anybody know what kind of hours this cyber vet. is going to have? How do we pay for services, by Thanks, referrals, free fishing trips, free bait, fishing equipment, gold, silver, $, reputation points, beer, etc. Dang, so many questions and the doc ain't here to answer them. Guess we will have to check back at 3 or 4 AM, crazy hours this dude has!:crazy::eek:oooh::wink:

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I believe payment in beer might be appropriate! :roll_eyes:

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    what ozzy said...i am sure this vet will appreciate a cold 6 pack..maybe even a glass of chilled wine....:wink::big_smile:

17. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    John, George has a springer spanial who constantly chews on his paws. He doden't chew them raw but if he is not chewing he is licking them. He is truly a great dog but it botheres me that he does this. Any suggestions? One vet said he could find nothing wrong with him and that he is in very good health.

Thanking you in advance for any suggestions that you may have.

Sharon

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Sharon, i am sure the vet would agree with me that proper medication and delicate use of the shock collar to cure this bad habit would suffice:wink:

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Quack, Quack I am not. I see there is a certain interest in this subject.

I have some questions to answer. My office hours are generally from two in the morning until sunup and then I go to my real job. I shall see what might have transpired and I will answer to the best of my ability. Tomorrow I shall post the ground rules. Since I am new some of you are not aware of how I operate. I shall explain in a windy sort of way tomorrow AM.

I also see one of the Magnificent Seven has inquired of my acronym. I shall explain that also, ask and ye shall receive as the manual says.

Later, Doc (TOFGF)

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Just what is it you are new at?:wink: