Hey you oklahomans-

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by massa_jorge, Feb 25, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    what month do the crappie tend to turn on in the western side of the state? we go over by cheyenne. went last year the first week of april and came home with a bunch, but i felt we could have went a lot earlier than that.
    this year it's really eating me up, i want to get the johnboat out asap. i am seeing spots in my sleep, HELP ME!
    thanks!

2. Okie Jim

Okie Jim New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Crappie have been hitting here for the last 3-4 months. I live about 80 miles north of Cheyenne. The local lake here is Ft. Supply and the spawn will usually start in May but like I said we have been fishing the deeper water and brush piles all winter with good results.
    The Channels are biting good now but most are small but you can limit out pretty easy.
    Where did you fish at Cheyenne? I used to live there and work in that area alot.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i fish skipout and spring creek. not big lakes, but chock full of fish. i usually catch a mess of crappie and several cats in the 8-14 pound range. i appreciate the input!
    both those lakes are in the black kettle national grassland, i believe.

4. Okie Jim

Okie Jim New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Skipout and Springcreek are good fishing. I used to tube fish Springcreek alot years ago. The is another lake that is east and south of Springcreek that is called the Washita lake. It used to be called Dead Indian lake that I have seen several nice cats come out of.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i think the one they used to call dead indian is the the one i am thinking is skipout. i know the grasslands has a few little lakes in it. there's one called lake marvin on the texas side as well, another excellent lake.
    i kill the crappie on any of those lakes on 2" bass assassins in silver phantom or chartreuse glitter. i take frozen shad and throw out my cat poles from the bank, then hit the ledges in the johnboat. almost every time i come back, i will have channel cats on the rods. i caught three channels over 12 pounds last year in one afternoon, on my cut carp recipe.
    man, the fever is getting worse, i can't wait to get out there!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jordan, seeing as how your from Texas, you can refer to us as Okies... not need to get real formal. LOL. Go Sooners.

7. Okie Jim

Okie Jim New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think I told you wrong. I think the old DI lake is called Black Kettle now
    not Washita. Its been awhile since I have got to go down there to fish.
    Skipout is west of Cheyenne towards Reydon.
    The sandies are hitting at Ft. Supply on the warm, windy days along the dam road. Good luck this spring on the slabs.