Hey you, got a question or problem?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Postbeetle and myself would like to start a new thread. We both like to converse with people and we are sure that there are others within the BOC that feel the same way. This thread would be about science, health, climate, habits and just about everything under the sun, except Religion and Politics. If there is an existing section on the BOC that might better serve your question or issue, we would suggest you go there.

We propose that you submit a question or issue and we and the membership will try to offer you a solution to your problem or a workable answer. We do suggest that if you offer some material to support your opinion, that you give a URL link or name a publication as your source.

Since this will be a rolling thread, we suggest that when responding to an issue or question, that you hit the quote button on the question or issue you wish to respond too. That way, we can have the Q and A together.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mac is the brains, I just hold the sword.

I am his Amos to his Andy, Bonnie to his Clyde (when I got my wig on), Robin to Batman (we will occasionally throw in a joker). If we can't answer it in a thousand words or less we will let BG and Boots handle it.

I believe Mr Mac can push some buttons when he wants. I can't find mine just now.

Give us what ya got or what ya want we two philosophers to dissect for ya.

Ask Mac all the hard questions. Don't ask me anything about fishing, I am just an apprentice member here as regards piscatorial expertise. I can pour a pretty good bottle of wine in the right manner and after that my talents are limited.

Hey how do ya do that quote thing Mac? Do I type backward to get that?

This is my rule. Haven't asked Mac about it. Haven't had our board meeting yet this morning. Don't ask me anything about mods or head honchos. Rulers and lowly life's like me do not get along well.

John aka "The lesser half".

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
  4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I have an old fashion doctor who believes that less medication is better than full strength. For the past three years he has been treating me for a low thyroid condition. Every six months he has me to get some blood work done so he can tell exactly what my thyroid level is. So every six months I tell him that I think we need to up my thyroid meds up so I will be at a maximum level and he says no. Them he informs me that too much thyroid medication will open me up for a lot of different problems, none of which he has ever told me what they were, nor did I ask. All of his efforts are toward keeping me cancer free and I have been for the last five years.

Yesterday I was reading Bottom Line Health (January 2009) and the head lines say 'Exciting new cancer link'. Here is what it had to say. "Cancer patients with under active thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) some times live longer than those with normal thyroid function--but, until recently, oncologists didn't know why."

A study was done with those with cancer with low thyroid functions vs those with normal thyroid function and it was found that those with low thyroid function lived three time longer than the good thyroid group. They stated that thyroxine, the body's main thyroid hormone, may stimulate cancer cell growth.

Interestingly, when the charts of nearly 2,000 lung cancer patients were reviewed, those with a history of hypothyroidism were diagnosed at an average age that was 4.3 years older than those with normal thyroid function--suggesting that these cancers took longer to grow to a diagnosable stage. Similar findings have been found with breast and kidney cancers.

Some doctors are now suggesting and recommending that those patients subject to cancer for various reasons, should not treat existing thyroid treatments at the maximum level, but maintain the lowest maintenance level the patient can stand. Also, people without thyroid problems that are suspect for cancer are having their thyroid levels lowered thru medications.

On the horizon:" A hormonally inactive chemical byproduct of thyroxine may help prevent cancer cells from proliferating--perhaps leading to a new anticancer drug."

So, my 6'.6" slim doctor with a white pig tail knew what it was all about before the experts at the cancer centers. I owe him one and I will tell him so next time I see him.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My Father died in 1996 of a heart attack at the age of 76. He died a good death. Just keeled over and it was done. No prolonged suffering or spending endless days in a nursing home.

I remember the last ten years of his life well. We had an old farmhouse with a large kitchen table. Everything was done here. Meals, card games, diapering babies, just talking. Mom always had a bowl of cookies or popcorn or some other goody in the center of that table and you could help yourself.

In the last 10 years of my Fathers life the center of that table had a bowl, only this bowl was Dad's and it contained all the pills and supplements he was taking. Lots of 'em with complicated times for taking and pills to take to help control some of the other pills he was taking and vitamins and minerals to help keep things "normal" in his body. They took on a life of their own controlling my Dad. Instead of getting up in the night to eat the last piece of chicken he would be rooting around for a pill he was supposed to be taking then.

So what you say?

I happened to be reading a Reuters article out of Chicago today by a woman named Julie Steenhausen. It in effect was an article about drug reactions now commonly seen in people in the age bracket of 57-85. It brought back memories of my father and some of the things he went through.

Today it is not uncommon for people to be taking 5 or more prescription drugs, non-prescription drugs and supplements at the same time. Last year in the US of A there was 175,000 emergency visits by people over 65 for adverse reactions to drugs in the wrong combination, with one-third of these commonly prescribed everyday drugs. These drugs in combo with non-script drugs and dietary supplements.

Of the several she mentioned was a common one. A drug called Coumadin (warfarin-rat poison). A blood thinner used by cardiac patients to keep their platelets (red blood cells) from sticking together. That is you don't clot. If you use this with aspirin you got trouble. Aspirin will make ya bleed and with the rat-poison in ya, ya don't clot. Double whammy.

The whole point of her story was to make us aware and to make your physician aware of what you are using so you can be knowledgeable of what can get ya. She recommended keeping a list of everything you take in your wallet or purse in case you go down and someone might have a clue about how to help you.

The pills eventually didn't help my Dad. I wonder if they ever did all those times he was trying to figure out what he should be taking.

John.

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Mac, I also have the same problem. Thanks for the heads up. January 9th is my next appointment and the ole doc's gonna get a few more questions!

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Sir John, as a follow up to your piece, especially about blood thinners, here is what I found that I was doing that was dangerous. I do not take Coumadin but I was taking two large dosages of vit. E two times a day plus an 81 gram aspirin. Plus a multivitiam pill, twice a day, which also had vit. E in it. When I would get a cut or deep scratch I would bleed for a long time. You can imagine what would have happened if I was on Coumadin.

Eventho we take our list of med's and supplements to our doctors when we visit, I wonder how many of them really understand what they contain and how each one affects the other. I have found that a druggist can tell you more about interactions of drugs and supplements than your primary care doctor.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John

Good Info John and the Exact Reason why I Don't mix Anything with My Crown Royal Medication other than Coke!!!:wink: J.D.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    This thread could get real good. Already I'm gettin subcontracted. LOL! I believe I will shy away from this one a bit. I'm a "You gotta problem deal with it kinda guy" Helpin those that are willin to help themselves is my motto. :cool2:

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mornin' George. Ya don't hire out 'eh.

George a Heloise I am not. Can't speak for Mac. I think he has a heart, whereas I left mine in San Francisco with the Hippies. When I said I was the sword carrier I meant that. I ain't here to solve anybodies problems and I don't carry a couch with me, at least for the purpose of shrinking. Maybe for some other purposes like taking a nap or some such.

I think the purpose of this thread is as yet unknown. I believe it will be a stimulus thread. A relationship thread, people relating solutions to a problem rather than crying about things. I don't like whiners and I shy away from them like a horse to a snake.

There are some talented members on this forum, many actually. They have many and varied interests that perhaps they can't relate elsewhere. Science and technology really interest me for instance. I hope this is a place they can come jot down some things about their experiences and attitudes without throwing it into High with the other numbnuts.

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mornin' Mr Mac. Come out on this cyber stage on this stool next to me and have a discussion with this audience that passes by and me. Pick my brain and give me some sound Over The Hill Gang advice on something that is poking at me. Well I should say it isn't poking at me just now. It was, might in the future, can't say it never will again.

I got that beast caged just now after 50 years. But it is there, walking back and forth behind it's bars, pacing, pacing looking for a place to squeeze through the bars and get me again. Its red eyes glowing steely and persistent. Pacing, pacing.

Christmas has come and gone. There is a holiday about to come that I always looked forward too. Didn't need an excuse then to wrap that beast around my shoulders and go out in the cold.

"They are not long, the days of wine and roses
    Out of a misty dream

Our path emerges for awhile, then closes
    within a dream"

Wanna see if you can guess what I am talking about Mac or anybody out there who wants to yap. I will leave it here for now, with me and Jack Lemon. I think he is dead, I ain't just yet so I wanna talk about it if anyone wants to listen.

John, aka John.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    To get to the point. Ya are strugglein a bit with the "BEER BEAST" Screw him. Poke at em while hes in that cage. He ain't nothin. Do what I do. Feed off of other peoples stupidity and recklessness when they are tuned up. Have a good time just bein you. Screw the people that may look down on ya cause ya don't drink. If this is a path that you have chosen and it makes for a better world for you than so be it. It ain't nothin but a new year. A nice clear unclouded look at it may be cool. :cool2:

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Fellers been by here several times ....this is a good thread here and I'd love to put something down that would realey work ya over...stump & confuse you like being blinded in the bright lights(LOL) but shoot I cant think nuttin to get ya's yet...:big_smile:
    You all have a good day !

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds Like BG got to it first,I figured New Years ,Before i even finished the first two sentances. I Quit partyin years ago,But as ya know I still love my beer,I may be giving it up like you ,John,Things are just plain gettin tough .

15. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Sounds like you are looking over your shoulder looking at an old friend, who was truly not your friend. Sure he was your friend when you visited with him, he made you feel like Superman, also made you think that everything you said was funny, but where was he when things went South on you, due to his influence on you and your brain. Oh yes, I know where he was, he was in the commode or hanging around on the ground next to the deck.

Your alleged friend and once one of my best buddies, has taken many a good man or woman down to their knees, to a point that only their mothers would love them, if she was still around. As a child, my mother would always tell us boys to choose our friends wisely, but some of us did not totally understand. Matter of fact, none of us boys listen at all. At one point in my life, our old friend took me down about as low as a human can get and be functional. Luckily I had something to happen while riding with our old friend and it turned my whole life around, no thanks to our old friend, but my own determination to rid myself of him. I was fortunate and was able to part company with our old friend without a lot of effort, for which I'm very thankful for. I am around our old friend all the time, but he and myself keep our distance and that is the way I need it to be. He and myself have not pal around for over nineteen years now and that is a good thing as Martha S. would say.

He is always around and he likes the period between now and the end of the year. It's his time to party! He does not give a cheet about you and me and the masses that don't know how to handle him, because that is the way it is!

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah me too load cussin like a sailer smoken ,like a chimmney & drinking ,like a fish is taking its toll and times are changing fer sure......they have that N/a beer but I dont drink cause I like the taste...so that aint happinin...the monkeys we all carry on our backs tryin to shake em......its a tough!

17. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have the solution.

Every time I get cut on, my tastes change.

After this last one, I get about 1 1/2 beers in me and I am full.

So just get some old Doc to cut on your Gizzards, your tastes will change.

18. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Morning Mac & John and and the rest of the Gang.

J.D.here and reportin for duty,Stone Sober I might add,No Bad headache,No Cotton Mouth,Clothes not thrown out on the deck with a note attached sayin (Get your low life scum suckin butt out of my world and I'm keepin the Dog,cause he Don't like Drunks either) LOL Been there done that one. Yes Sir Re Bob !!

Now the Wife dosn't Me drinking a fue beers,But therin lies the Problem!!! Never want just a copple of beers(Why wast My Time,I Drink for the effect) and after a fue I'm full of beer then I want some Crown Royal,and I get Diarhhea of the Mouth and get Myself in a whole Raft of Shit.

I Will go 3/4/5 weeks and never drink anything and don't miss it either,then I get a Hankerin for a taste of the Go Juice.Most times i behave myself but then again sometimes I Don't and get Myself sideways with Mother Superior and there is Hell to pay,Mostly because I have contracted that Diarhhea of the mouth Virus again.

I have not been up to the cabin on the river now for 3 weeks,and am going to go up today for 3/4 days and spend some time and don't know if i'll have me anything to drink or not.Can't get in much trouble up there cause my Dog Major don't care one way or the other what comes Spuewin out of My Mouth,LOL Oh Well I Know this for sure the little lady done already told me now that I'm retired don't think you'll be layin around the house drinkin beer all Day!!! Yes Moyher Carry Nations (Wasn't she the old gal that went around busting up bars durning Proabition and lead the women tempernce movement ?).

So now Here is the Question Mac & John.Are Ya Ready ????

I have Alwaye been a Good Husband,Never cheeted on the wife,Always provided for the children,made sure there was plenty of money for the things they needed or wanted.made sure the house was in good repair and the bills paid.Always had a good job running Multi Million dollar operations and well thought of and respected in my field.Well sometimes I Think I'm Tired of Being Mr.Goody Two Shoes and I could just be a Homeless person living on the street and doing just what in the Hell I wanted,Anytime I wanted,Drink what I wanted, and Society could go take a Flyin Jump at a Rollin Donut!!The Salvation Army will feed me and I could sleep at the open door mission at nights when it got cold.Am I going through Old Age Crises,HalfHimmers Desease,Maybe I need to start Smokin Mary Jane and Mellow Out,You Know take a Trip and Never leave the Farm. Well Spilled My Guts Enough this Morning Yep!!! Well what do You Think Doc?? Is there Any Hope or is this Terminal ???? Later J.D.

19. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mac, John...how are you fellas this post-christmas morning? I'm well. Gotta go to work, but other than that...it's all good.

Y'all know anything about cougars/pumas/mountain lions? Just wondering because I think they are moving in around these parts. MDC claims that the isolated sightings are simply young males migrating through, but there is no viable population. Since these cats are solitary creatures, young cats that have been expelled from their mothers roam far and wide looking for a suitable territory to call their own. Naturally, they would use the river valleys as a corridors to move undetected for long distances. For the most part, any sightings around here are just hearsay. There have been a couple hit by cars, and there has been some hair and scat recovered that tested positive for being that of a cougar. This year, someone got an interesting trailcam photo. It's a pic of 2 cougars eating on a deer carcass, and another watching from afar. Sounds like a mom letting her young feed to me. I just wonder how many there has to be before the population would be considered "viable". I know several people personally who have had encounters with these cats while hunting. I believe that around here, you have a much better chance of seeing a cougar than a black bear.

20. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    JD, while the old man is looking for his Christmas present I will put my two cent worth in. You, like me and a bunch of others in our age group and some later on had a different mentally about drinking beer and hard stuff than most of the populace. When I was a junior and senior in high school, a swabie in the armed forces and later a college student, when a bunch of guys decided to go out on the town. We did not say, lets go to so and so bar and have a few, we would say, who's up for going out and getting drunk tonight. Am I right or wrong so far? Again, I like you could not and did not want to drink a couple of beers, no way, why do it if you could not get a buzz. Then when you got a buzz, why go home when all the other guys and gals were laying it on and having fun, mixing the hard stuff with the beers. And a few would cheat on their wives or husbands, ofcourse, not you or me, and that would develop other problems down the road. As you can see, there is no end to this story, but I will let Sir John and others have a go at the ending.