hey yakkers

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by snoman774, Apr 13, 2008.

1. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    just curious anybody ever build ur on yak say stitch and glue
    reason i ask i just bought a flat bottom boat and cant really justify a yak with the wife for now but just maybe i could build me one and slip it by under the radar.lol

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Never tried building one. I would think you could buy a demo or used yak as cheap as you could make one (considering time and money).

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Chris, don't tell us that you forgot about the kayak that you've been letting your 3rd cousin on your mothers side been using for awhile now. :wink:

:004:

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wow, Chris, those stich-and-glue projects can mount up quickly to a lot of moolah too. The cost of good glass and epoxy alone can make your head swim, and I ain't talkin' 'bout the smell either! :eek:oooh:

I have been collecting the tools (just got a nice hand plane) for building a strip-built Guillemot kayak. This would be a dream come true to build such a lovely craft.

On the other hand, I am preparing myself to dump more money into the investment than I did on my Heritage Redfish 12' Angler, by about double.

Keep us informed of your progress. It sure sounds like a lot of fun! :wink:

5. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I have a freind who built a duck boat. its about the same thing only much more stable than my yack. he had a lot of money tied up in his. cabelas has one for about $300 bass pro too. or walmart has one on their website for $250. hope this helps

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    never tryed building one but my neighbor has one

7. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    gonna have to do a little more shoppin i guess didnt realize they could be found so cheap most of what i saw online was crowdin $1000 or better.
    didnt really want to build one anyway just thought i could do it on a shoestring.

ya know now that ya mention it..... lol