Hey "Whistler"

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I understand you and my buddy Vic are fishin buddy's! You'll have to come up and meet some of the crew here in God's country. Some of us don't catch a lot of fish, but we sure know how to have a good time. If you need a camp cook, you won't find a better one than Sal. His wife can fix some pretty good snacks too!
    I wanted to compliment you on the new forum and the Library. I was having a little trouble at first, but I'm getting the hang of it.
    Sparky

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks Sparky for the kind words. Yeah, Vic has been here or near here twice now. Next time he's actually gonna fish with me though. LOL One day I will make it a point to come up and fish. We need a big gathering for you your way. That would be a blast.

3. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Thats what Bryan says to everybody..."Next time we're gonna catch fish"...Yeah right! LMAO

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Really Guys,
    We got to get with Hear Kitty (Don)! Now there is a man that catches catfish!
    He invited me to go out with him in his boat last summer. Believe me, I had my doughts, cause it was noon and about 85 degrees. Not the best time to catch catfish in my mind, but what the heck I wasn't doing much anyway.
    We were only out for about three hrs. and caught 25 cats and lost a few. It was a great time, and I learned a few things.
    The thing that really got me going was Don's equipment. I mean everyone has these big rod & reels with 30lb to 50lb. test. Don, was using a ultra light rod and reel combo and 6lb test and was having a ball. Now granted, we weren't hualing in monsters, but lets face it, fishing is fishing, and we caught fish.
    Sparky

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sparky, you don't need heavy gear to catch catfish for sure, that's my evil influence that has lead you to believe that. LOL. However, once you leave the state of Michigan and travel south you won't see too many folks on the river fishing with ultralights. You're being too modest Sparky. You know we catch all the catfish here. This year I went down south to give my arms a break seeing that I only caught one catfish in my two trips. :crying: Sparky when we get together this year we are going to catch alot of catfish. Flatheads and channels...Can you say Saginaw River? LOL.

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Yaaaaaaaa! buddy,
    I'm in.
    I'm also going to check out the Cass River a little more this year. I've been talking to some folk around my area, and I'm hearing great things.
    How good are you in a Canoe?

7. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Well, I've never been in a canoe. I've been IN the river using poncho rafts, and ON the river in makeshift rafts and RB15's. Also commandeered(loose term LOL) a Zodiac across about two miles of ocean channel with it collapsing on us(that wasn't funny with my inate fear of sharks). I might be able to deal with a canoe providing I leave all my heavy gear at home, unless we just use the canoe as a means of travel from one bank spot to the next...

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well, I can't say I've run my canoe in shark infested water, but I've put more hours in a canoe than I have air miles. Believe me as a traveling pedder, thats alot. I must admit, I have only twice dumped my canoe unintentionally. So, we'd get along just fine. If worst comes to worst, I'll put the pontoons on.
    Thats like training wheels for a bike.
    Sometime, I'll tell you the story of my canoe mishaps. LOL
    Sparky

9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Let me clarify my earlier assessment in regard to sharks. I just made the assumption that sharks may have been present since it was the ocean.LOL. "Infested" might be pushing it a little. :cool: I didn't actually see a shark, but was told they were in the area. LOL. I did see a ray if that counts. :0a13:

Anyway, is that a point A to B deal with that canoe? Seems like a tough gig trying to do still fishing in that thing from hours on end. LOL.

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Heavy Gear? LOL Fighting Belts and Rods that fit it! No, you don't have any heavy gear Vic!! LOL Hey, not my fault the river was dead when you were down here. LOL Next time we'll......

11. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Trust me, it's easy! But if you get stiff, we get out and fish the bank for awhile. As far as gear goes, bring as much as you want, it holds alot. Heck, I've traveled down the river for days on end with coolers, tents, camping gear, the whole nine yards. Of course we can always get ahold of Don, he might be willing to take us out in his boat if we talk nice to him.
    Sparky

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Hey Vic,
    maybe you can get a fighting chair set up in that canoe, then you can leave the belt at home :p :p :p I think you just hex us guys when you come down. One of us WILL put you on some fish eventually...W

13. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Victor,
    Haven't I heard something about this Infamous fighting Belt before? !!!!!!!!!!! LOL. My, My, MY, when the gloves come off, the punches just keep on coming.LMAO. I guess if you want you could bring along your fighting belt if we go out in the canoe. Or, like Metalman says, maybe I could install a fighting chair, if it doesn't stand up to tall.
    Boy, Whistler, I think you got something started here.
    Sparky

14. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Oh you need that fighting gear with Whistler on the Cumberland, just ask Bryan how I about jumped into the river to kick someone's butt. "What the (blank) you lookin' at? LMAO

15. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sparky, no need to install a chair. LOL. Since we are in Michigan I might decide to leave it at home. The more I think about it a canoe expedition sounds like fun...

16. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    We'll make it happen this summer. It will be a ball! Or a wild experience!
    I got both of the kids home last night, so we are starting our Holiday.
    I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year!!!!!!!!
    Sparky

17. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Merry Christmas Sparky and Happy New Year ! May it be a safe one for all!!!!