Hey what trap is this and whats the worth

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by channelcat_tracker, May 10, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i found a trap in my shed that i had no clue what it was and what to use it on. Its very strong. So strong that I can not set it. I dont have a picture but it has its pan then the part that snaps the trap up starts under the pan and goes out to the ends of the 3' by 3' part. It looks like its at least 100 years old and I dont think they still make that kind of trap. thanks for looking at this article

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    not enough to go own, does the trap have a cut out v in the pan. also check and see if their is any writting on pan, may have, to scrape some rust to see dont scrap anymore than you have two should be a number, and company,name,
    all though some older traps hade no stamp on pan.

3. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    yea it looks like it has a v in the pan but i cant get to the company who made it could be an old mohawk

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    sounds like a victor

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey, you might want to check out Ebay.
    I just went there and saw a whole lot of differant types of antique traps.
    Watching that will also give you an idea of it's worth and a place to sell it if you want.

To satisfy our curiosity, please post back here once you do find out and a pic so we can see it please.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    if that trap is 3' tip to tip across the springs then its a bear trap which a lot of them was hand made and some made by Victor along with other small trap manufactures who are no longer in business. Depending on the condition and rarety of the trap, it can be worth from $75.00 to $300.00

7. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    hey ill try my best to get a picture uploaded. i know it is definately not a bear trap. the circumference of the trap is a 6 inch pan in the center and its not a spring trap its just a piece of metal going at an angle straight up. im definately curious to this trap. i have seen some traps go up to 400 before! thats still a lot of money considering they sold em maybe 10 bucks. thanks for your comments

8. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Yeah that sounds like a Victor, but i don't know what kind though.

9. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    if its a victer than whats the worth of it and is victer out of business and is it an antique?

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Is this the trap that you have?

Attached Files:

11. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    hey sorry but thats not that kind of trap. The trap doesnt even have those kind of springs. Its like a Duke double spring trap only get rid of the springs and one of the levers making the claws go up. I am so confused on this trap.

12. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    do you have access to a digital camera?

13. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    sounds like a # 3 jump trap, havent been made for several years, a lot still around, take some more rust off size # should be at the v in pan, at best 3 to 10 dollars. not what you wanted, to hear, If victor are staped into the top of jaws or has teeth, would be worth more, would make a good wall hanger.

14. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    hey sorry but i dont have access to a digital camera and maybe i can get a camera to take a picture of it. its at my uncles house in cascade which is about an hour and fifteen minute drive so i cant get up their for a while. yea three to ten dollars isnt what i was hoping for. thats a reall putdown:angry:

15. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
  16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    those traps in the ebay picture looks like #1 or #2 size. I have about 50 or so of those along with a few #3 and #4 which I use for beaver and coyote along with some double long springs of the same size. The underspring was used to make the trap more compact then the longspring was the only reason for that type spring but it was found not to have as much holding force so the coil spring was then used. It still doesn't sound like what channel tracker has.

17. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    yea thats what i got. looks that size too. whats the worth of them things? not too much i can see on ebay