Hey Virginia! What do you think?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by wolfman, Feb 20, 2020.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Dec. 2019
    Chapter 4 VAC 20-1360-10 et seq., "Pertaining to Commercial Electrofishing"
    The Commission proposes to establish Chapter 4 VAC 20-1360-10 et seq., “Pertaining to Commercial Electrofishing”, to create a commercial electrofishing license and fishery for catfish.

The purpose of this chapter is to create a new commercial fishery using low-frequency electrofishing to target blue catfish and flathead catfish in several Virginia rivers. This chapter also establishes gear restrictions and a maximum size limit and season for electrofishing.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/...33ad23bf1932fa4789~mv2_d_5100_6600_s_4_2.webp

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Welder likes this.
  2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    They are trying to eradicate the catfish to make the James (primarily) and the others Bass fishing havens.

Welder and wolfman like this.

3. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Name:
    Greg
    I don't really agree with allowing people to make money off of the harvest of wild animals. If someone wants to use their land and money to farm catfish, more power to them. I think the main reason this is being considered is that the state says blues and flatheads are non-native invasive species and encourage their removal.

4. jumpmaster

jumpmaster Well-Known Member

State:
    ohio
    Name:
    david
    I do put some of the blame on bass fishermen, they complain that cats are eating bass, and lord knows that bass are king of all fish, so states listen to them. Norris lake in tennessee was on its way to being the #1 striper lake in the country, untill bass fishermen complained enough to get the state to quit stocking them for years while they did a study to find out that they had nothing to do with bass populations.

Welder, ramon06 and wolfman like this.
  5. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I don't have a dog in the fight in VA. but if were proposed in IL. I would be calling my state representative and DNR voicing my opposition. I don't think C.F. need any help becoming more efficient it appears to me they are doing well for themselves in the Ohio where I fish.