Hey Splitshot!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by coreyfence, Mar 20, 2007.

1. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    I tried to PM ya but it said I have to have at least 10 posts to reply. Anyways, I'm going out for the first time this Thursday at the S.G.F. bridge north side of dam next to the hydroelectric station. Too much snow everywhere else. I've got to get ahold of Mr. Hookset as he and my brother are fishing buddies. I've got a batch of catdogs marinating in fridge. They work really well. I've had luck on them when everyone else around me was using chicken livers and not getting a bite. Here's the recipe.

CATDOGS: get a small jar or butter tub
    1Tbsp. vanilla extract
    3 hotdogs cut up
    1-1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
    1 Tbsp. grated parmesian cheese
    3 drops of Tabasco hot sauce
    shake well and let set for a coupe days

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Jay, thanks for the recipe ill give it a try. I didn't know that you could get in there to fish. I know where the SGF bridge is, but how do you get down there to fish? Ive never fished in that area and i cant picture exactly where your talking about. What time are you going down there to fish thursday? Im going to the V.A. in Glens Falls thursday morning. If you can give me some directions id like to check out your fishing spot.

Thanks, Steve

3. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    If you cross the bridge heading to S.G.F. take your first right at the end of the bridge. Then take your next right, maybe a coupe hundred feet after you've turned. You'll see the road veers right and down a hill under the bridge. right as it starts to veer look to your left you'll see a yellow railing you can drive up to. That's one of the spots we fish, and probably the only one clear right now. I cast out and prop my pole on the railing. Best part is if it's cold out you can sit in your vehicle only a coupe feet away and stay warm. The wall where the railing is is about 6-8 feet above the water so I put an extension on my net. Also makes for a fun retrievel. I've caught a couple of 3-5 lbers there but most are in the 8-10lb. range. I'll get ahold of ya and maybe we can get Hookset to join us but I think he works 10a-7p

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks Jay for the directions. Sounds like a good place to try i spend most of my time fishing South bay and the canal at Fort Ann. It would be great if the three of us could get together some time. Good luck thursday let me know how you do.

5. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    I went for a couple hours last night. No bites, but man it felt good to drop a line again. I was even wearing shorts it was so nice out. The water was surprisingly calm considering the rain and snowmelt.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I went down there thursday morning looks like a pretty good spot, i might give it a try Tuesday. At least you got to wet a line, ive never had much luck this early in the season. I had Bobs bait in Corinth order me some frozen herring and smelt, i have really good luck with it, especially in the spring.

7. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    Is there anywhere around here to find herring? I'm going to South Bay tomorrow and fishing for Perch.

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Jay i will see what i can find out. Ive heard that you can catch them in the Mohawk below the locks. I went to Lake George yesterday and caught five pounds of perch that im going to freeze and use for cut bait. Have you seen the thread for the BOC 2007 spring fish off? I entered the contest sure would like to see you sign up for it if you can, If your able to contact Mrhookset he might want to enter the contest also.