Hey Montana!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MONTANA TALK' started by drpepper, Jun 13, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got a buddy in Montana and I was tellling him about this forum...
    so I thought I'd pop over here and see whats goin' on... he should be along soon,, putermike's his user name.

Are there blues and/or flatheads in Montana or no?
    It looks like you have channels at least.
    I know some of y'all just got whacked with some snow,, lol, Right now that sounds kinda nice!

2. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    Hey Uncle Bill!
    Sorry it took me awhile to get resituated here. And as for the typo in my nick maybe that can be fixed later. Not now though. Like the new identity LOL.
    Thanks for the invite!
    Cheers and be safe!

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL!!! well mr.Mike, looks like Montana don't have (m)any catfish in it...TIME TO GET THE HECK OUTTA THERE!!!!!

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I never did fish for them, but I've heard there are some cats around the Yellowstone and Ft. Peck res.

5. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I don't know much about fishing in Montana, but I lived there as a kid. I used to live in a small town called Ennis, kinda by Bozeman. I can remember catching catfish there as a kid. I believe it was the Ennis Lake. They weren't very big though. My buddy's dad used to keep them alive in a big pool and fry 'em up from time to time. I caught bigger trout than catfish. I'm sure there are a few nice ones somewhere. I really miss Montana. The most beautiful place I have ever been in my life, really. The hunting and fishing is so good up there I wouldn't worry about not finding cats. Maybe it is too cold. If I remember anything about Montana is that it gets colder than shit. I still have family out there and am looking to visit around October or November. Keep me in your buddy list and keep me posted on the Montana scene. Take it easy.

6. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    I may go to back to Idaho for a bit, unsure yet. Colorado I found, doesn't have great fishing in the res in Ft Collins. Maybe I wasnt in the right place. Who knows. I like this state, its open wide areas, (hence: BigSky Country, given by the native americans here) It's not too populated, and the population of NYC is about the pop of MT (or was)

7. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    Yeah, 40 below is normal winter weather here. When it gets to be 90 below with the windchill, it cuts thru you like a knife thru melted butter. The biggest rainbow I caught was on the Missouri River near Holter Lake. Was 13lbs, caught with 6lb test, #10 hook, nightcrawler, with a Garcia Featherweight tip rod with a small mitchell open face reel, split shot weight, (two of them). No other fancy riggins used. I gotta find that pic too and post it. I, at that time weighed in at 300lbs so the rainbow looked in proportion to my weight size, versus, a 190 lb man with a 4lb rainbow. The smaller ones fight more than the bigger ones.
    I am in Great Falls, so, gives you an idea where I am situated at.

8. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    If I remember right Great Falls is just about straight north of Ennis by a couple hours. I had a wrestling tournament in Great Falls once. Do you know where Ennis is? Isn't there a lake up there called Flathead. I assume it wasn't named after the mighty flathead catfish. I'll have to ask my uncle about the catfishing up there. He is the one that used to take me. I once caught a 10# rainbow at the Ennis lake when I was about 8 yrs old. I have also been ice-fishing out there. That can be fun if you pick a good hole. If not I remember it is cold and miserable(lots of hot chocolate and coffee).

9. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    Yep, I know where Ennis is, and Flathead Lake isnt too far from Whitefish. Awesome fishing in both places. Whitefish lake is still one of the cleanest around. Folks still drink out of it. Coffee and donuts are for the local cops LOL!!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're talking about New York City, New York, you're way off on your estimates. The estimated population for 2006 for Montana was just under 950,000. The 2000 census figure for NYC was just over 8,000,000. So, the population of the entire state of Montana is less than 1/8 the size of NYC!

11. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    You are correct. I was on the phone when I made that post. It should have read what you said. I shouldnt be on the phone or be distracted when posting. The population was going down, and when boeing started buying up land up by the airport a few years ago, that brought in some prospective expansion. that fell through too, as two land owners didn't want to sell. Rumor had it that Nasa wanted a test landing site for the shuttle.
    Mike

12. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    The population has died out LOL

Local Information for Great Falls, MT

• Population: 56,690
    • Total Households: 23,834
    • Median Age: 37.80