hey Mister, would you please take off your hat?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Mar 30, 2009.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hats, I've worn them all and have never been without one on my head when I needed one. There aren't too many pictures taken of me where I didn't have a hat on and a beer in my hand.

Coonskin caps, baseball hats, stocking caps, watch caps, Stetson hats, Sombreros, Berets, straw hats. About the only cap for this part of the world I have not worn is a yarmulke. When I didn't have a hat on I had a hard hat on my head or a helmet. I don't know what they call the kind of hat I am wearing in my avatar.

I have to wear a hat, summer or winter because I nearly died when young from sun stroke. And for some reason they just make me comfortable. I know they make me seem taller and when you are a runt like me anything helps.

I was never allowed to wear a hat in my Mothers house when young. Just the rule. If you came through the kitchen door for dinner or supper the hat came off. If it didn't Pop had the quickest technique for knocking it off, done without a word said. If you violated that rule too often he had an even better technique. He could flick the cap off and just tick the end of your nose as a warning.

I come from a very rural part of the world. Actually more cattle, horses, hogs, sheep and goats around here than people. Everybody wears caps, even a lot of women, and almost everyone wears them everywhere. Unless you are a high mucky-up and then you don't. Kinda a class distinction out here.

Now, I take my hat off when the anthem is played, when a flag goes by and never do I wear a hat to a funeral. If I went to church I wouldn't wear a hat there. I don't wear a hat in anothers persons house especially if I don't know them well. I also take it off when I am eating anywhere. I always wear a hat to where I might be going and then I take it off. Went into our local dive dinner on main street this morning where you can get a very nice breakfast anytime. Good company, laid back and old devils like me sitting around ready to die. Nice place. I took my hat off and set it on the floor. Another rule from youngster hood, never put your cap on the table. That could get you in real trouble. The waitress, who is a champion barrel rider and cute said "You don't have to take you cap off in here". I thanked her and said that I would just leave my cap there.

And finally, this is the point of this thread. What etiquette do you observe in your neck of the woods. Do ya or don't ya? Does it bug you or could you give a diddley-squat if you notice? Should taking your hat off be a new rule like not smoking?

We could get into all the fine points of wearing a cap. Like how to wear it as a signal, how to tip it or touch it when greeting somebody to indicate what you really mean. The logos you prefer, how dirty to get it to really make it comfortable. The right hat for the right occasion. Your lucky hats and on an on. Do you wash your hat? My wife Nancy won't let me wash my hats. She has a special way to do it, puts it in a bag and uses a certain cycle and detergent. Go figure.

The biggest problem I have with my hats anymore is remembering where I put them.

John.

2. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also grew up in rural america where it was odd to see someone without a hat on (still live there), the rules you stated are about the same I learned from my dad, he must have said 100 times that it was the rule at his house where he grew up that there were no hats worn at the dinner table, I remove mine at anthem being played/sung, also at most others houses. I am sure there would be a large reduction of skin cancer cases if more people wore hats outdoors. I have collected quite a few but seldom stray from a small group.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to wear a lot of different hats John. Now it is mainly a ball cap for fishing and a straw one for the garden. I miss the days when I did. I have seriously been contemplating a new Fedora, but where would I wear it? I think proper hat etiquette has gone the way of the Dodo. Young people just don't seem to care. I still tip my cap to the lady's, shoot most of them don't know why. I will let the boys keep theirs on in the house. but not at the table! I was raised hats off inside, but you must bend with the winds of time I guess, or get your hat blown off. :sad2:

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I think not. Very "heady" topic. Look how much it means to the military and police. Best be watching out for those "scrambled eggs" or barets.
    It goes miles in determining a person's interest or allegiance. It can tell which guy in the bar can handle himself and is ready to, and also it can point out the poor guy who just wants to be left alone.
    It can conceal your face from the overhead security camera, but it's logo can also be a dead give away.
    Sometimes ya need one to go into a sacred place, and other times it must be removed to do so.
    So this is a great thread, and I look forward to the responses, & I'm sure someone will put a plug in for making some dough.

Two trends I dislike now, are hats being worn backwards, and also "logo" hats for sale. You got a product you are proud of, put your logo on it and give it away to the people who use it. It's the American way. It ought to be against the law to sell em, and anyone who buys one has very low self esteem.
    For the bald fella they are required equipment. Only taken off in the shower, and prized pocesssions. Got a bald friend who needs a present for a birthday or whatever, it's a no-brainer. Get him a hat. He'll thank ya for it.
    :wink:

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yep B- Man ...I remove the cranium cover yer gettin blinded on a sunny day (LOL)

6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I started wearing a Detroit Tigers baseball cap in the late 90's. I wore it through thick and thin with the team, even when they lost 119 games, I always wore my cap (or caps, as they have been replaced countless times). I have never really thought about etiquette, it never was taught to me about caps. I would not wear one at work, a funeral, or at a church, or wedding, I take it off when the anthem is played, and I don't wear it where it isn't practical, like at the dentist office, but otherwise I am almost never without it. You bring up a good point that I should think about, wearing it at restaurants, or a holiday meal. I've never had a problem with it, never had anyone ask me to remove it. Most of the joints I frequent aren't very fancy, but a couple of times I have gotten looks. Most of the time it is covering up my bushy hair that needs a cut and I'd look worse if I took it off.

Good topic, it makes me think.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Doug, thanks for your comments. I wear a Cubs hat sometimes when I am not sane. You have a nice hat, no offense meant by my wearing a Cubs hat I hope.

Look at it this way, at least you got hair to cover. LOL

John.

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have a drawer full of caps sometimes I wear one sometimes I don't [sometimes I feel like a cap sometimes I don't ] I got one that says I am American it ends in I can not I ran how old is that I got some from friends businesses and or different Items I got two BOC hats a Zebco some with out a Logo most with, one is sprinked and says d@#$ Pigions LOL my wife says I don't wear that so you see I like caps and headcovers got two western style Hats I just don't want to wear one all the time

9. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I like a cap. most of mine have a big G on them. you know as in why is them dogs always getting there butts kicked by them gators.LOL
    back in the day if you didn't take your hat off at the proper time''
    one of them old war vets would slap it off and try to make sure your head went with it.:smile2:
    and that's not a joke.LOL
    I think every young man in Georgia was drafted from 40's until 70"s. LMAO
    I live not more than ten miles from where I grew up..
    but it's like I live in a different world.:crazy:

10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wear a lid when I fish,when, I work under a car,or if it is windy.I dont wear my hat backwards execpt when it's raining when Iam fishing the feeling of water running down my neck and back gives me the creaps.If you come to my house I dont mind if you have you hat on, but not at the table.I always take my hat off when I meet a woman, or go into a public building, or someone elses house.I have a hat with fake seagull poo on it, and it says "damn seagulls" that is on my gun rack.Lids are okay on most people.Some people SHOULD always have a hat on.
    smokey

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree with ya with that statement "some folks should always have a hat on".

I would like to amend it with "they should also have it pulled down in front of their face" LOL.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always wear my hat..main reason I dont go to church is because I wont take my hat off

13. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I wear a hat everyday. Usually a Vols cap. I take it off when I sleep or when I'm at a hockey game and the National Anthem is played or whenever it's appropriate to remove. Otherwise I'm wearing it. I wash it when it needs it.

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Simple. Hat off when ya go indoors. Take it off for the national anthem or the raisin and lowerin of flag. Wear the brim in the front not cocked off to the side or some other rediculous way. In other words don't give me that "THUG" crap. Never ever wash a hat. If ya wear a sports team hat for goodness sakes wear the team colors. last I looked the Phillies team colors weren't lime green and purple. Just cause your "THUG" outfit is that color don't mean dick to me and ya look like a fool. And while you're at it pull up the freekin pants also. I don't wanna see your skivies. I'm about to thump someone in the head for that one. Dam John,ya went and struck a chord with me on this one. LOL! Remember Bum Phillips? Head coach of the then Houston Oilers. He would take off his hat in The Astrodome. Said that technically it was indoors so ya had to. LOL! And if ya are gonna get rid of a hat it must be givein a respectfull send off. I usually burn mine while havein a soda and a smoke. LOL!

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey there Beetle!
    Last time I was on here you were missing in action. Glad to see you made it back.

I'm like some of the others, I have a drawer full of caps. Seldom wear a cap and never wear a hat, I still have some hair. :smile2:

Never get any more free caps. When I worked some company was always passing out free caps.

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Ole. Nice to see you to. Came close to being deep-sixed with some personal stuff. Still glad to be here.

You don't need no hat debonair fella you are. Well maybe you should wear a hat over your beard.

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    George, you a man after my heart when you said never wash a hat.

Ya know when you get that sweat stain, and blood stain, and slime stain in just the right places on the brim of that cap it gets a certain character to it. Almost becomes art work, and the smell drives women nuts. somebody could make a zillion bucks making that smell, it would be the best aphrodisiac since shots with a water chaser.

18. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Got my vote for an air freshener for the truck. :wink:

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I mostly wear a cap,I do wear my felt in the winter ,and I have a straw that I wear in the hottest part of summer,If the wind ain't bad. Mine mostle come off indoors,unless I may be going right back out in a few. Always taken off for the flag ,NO EXCEPTIONS. I take it off at the table ,unless I'm the only one at said table eating ,or unless its OUTSIDE. Unless of course I am asked to remove it.

20. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I take my hat off for one thing, and one thing only."

--Bandit
    :wink: