Hey metalman

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by paidin, Oct 27, 2006.

1. paidin

paidin New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I do not have enough posts to enable me to reply to your pivate message. To answer your question though, you can catch Skipjack at cheetham or the steam plant. I choose to go to the steam plant cause its closer to my house by about 20 minutes.

If you want to catch them by boat, you will have to go to cheetham. At the steam plant, you have to do it from shore. To catch them, you need to rid up 2-4 (I prefer 4) twisty tail jigs. Most people use white but I use chartreuse (sp?) yellow and white bodies. I figure if I give them a selection, they can just go eat whatever color they like best.

You take this rig and cast it across the steam plant and let it sink. You then reel back relatively fast or when your arm is sore, just jig them back. I find the secret is to let them sink first. The big'uns are usually near the bottom unless they are on top. If they are on top, they hit my rig right away so... I dont need to fish the bottom on that cast ;)

The other way is to buy a sabiki rig. Use the same techniques but you can catch the smaller skipjack this way in addition to the lunker skip jacks.

I will probably end up fishing for skipjack this saturday cause I have an outing sunday. If I get lucky and load up on skipjack, I'll give you some.

paidin

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Thanks for the info. It's good they are in at the steam plant. That will save a trip to the dam...W

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Metalman, it was nice meeting you at the boatramp Sat evening. I was the fella that came over and talked to you while you were putting your boatcover on. That wind was tough Sat for sure!

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Billy,
    Hope you got back to Memphis without incident. You guys were the only ones we saw all day...W

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    HEY THANKS for the infro never fished for them but going to try:0a24: :0a31:

6. paidin

paidin New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    No problem Pastor. I find catching skipjack is as fun as catching bass! It also gives me something fun to do while I bankfish for rockfish and catfish. Make sure your using a medium action rod with at least 10lb line cause there are times when I have hooked 3 big skipjacks at once. I recommend 14ish pound line for rigging the jigs up together though. I have had the knots give when using 8 pound line for those rigs.

paidin