Hey jughead, 'er I mean jarhead.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Apr 14, 2009.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The good, the few and the proud. Goes something like that I think.

Got a wild hair to delve into the origination of the term "Jarhead" this morning. I have used the term all my life and I have always meant it in a positive way. Actually have used the term with respect to those whom I have addressed it to.

Come to find out in my wanderings in the ether that the term is considered to be pejorative, i.e. disparage or belittle. The last thing I want to do is disparage or belittle a Marine, esp if I am in reaching distance of his paw or his sniper scope. I happen to like these guys.

Supposedly the term originated from mules. If you have ever been around or handled mules you know that they are often called jugheads. Now "that" is meant to be disparaging, stubborn SOB's that they are. Yet I have never met a dumb mule. On a scale of brains with horses they are a 10 compared to a horses -1. The term then was gradually used to describe Marines, "Jarhead" It meant hard to deal with or stubborn marines.

Have never met a Marine that was hard to deal with or stubborn. Most of them have just been crazy. But that's alright.

So what ya think those of ya out there that ain't stubborn or hard to deal with can I keep calling you "Jarheads" or should I duck and run?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Who you callin jarhead you stubborn old SOB? LOL Call me anything you want PB!! Semper-fi!!!!!

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I've been called a lot worse. You can call me what you want. I know where you are coming from.

Semper Fi

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    PB they wouldnt be able to understand it anyways:smile2::tounge_out:
    M - My
    A - Azz
    R - Rides
    I - In
    N - Navy
    E - Equipment

GO NAVY:wink:

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Quack Quack:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gary, I like that. Now duck and run. LOL. I could always outdrink them to, and I say that humbly.

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    well you tought me something. i thought it was a reference to the haircut. which former marines and local populations around marine corps bases often refer to as "the high and stupid" (high and tight).

jarhead, leatherneck, devil dawg (teufel hunden), crunchies, bullet stoppers, mudmarines, grunts (and even a few pog's), doesnt really matter. if you had ever offended one of us, you prolly would have found out allready. lol.

as far as i am concerned you can call us just about anything excluding a certain female genitalia, and baby killers... i never liked the former. sure it happened/happens, but not xactly the legacy we want to be known for. noone ever says, "you know those guys in uniform who give presents to kids at Christmas time".

kind of like that old joke... "i been a fireman all my life, but i slept with one sheep, and nobody ever calls me the fireman anymore."

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That was good too, leatherneck. Say didn't you use to tend my sheep flock? LOL JD Harrison.

Hey while you on a roll go give me an answer in another thread I started a coupla days ago. Can't remember the name of it though. Damb old age.

John.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I was taught that it was cause they screwed their hats on. Used to rub the front of their foreheads lookin for the threads. :wink:

10. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN

They call that the USMC TAXI Service!!! :smile2::smile2:

Semper Fi
    USMC

11. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Jarhead is mild to what we call each other. When a Marine is getting told he did a good job in a formation, would make most people feel like they were getting there azz handed to them.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Marines don't wear hats or caps, they wear covers like a jar has a cover a bottle has a cap. So jarhead. Or else its cause their head is smooth like a jar. Well, been called worse too.

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Not even an hour ago, I got a call here at home from my shop asking why Im not at work yet...my Gunny didnt know that Im working late this week and because of that, Im going in later tha usual...well during the span of a few minutes I got called a few things...all of which would have made Jarhead sound quite comforting:smile2:.

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    never had a problem with one. the younger ones who who are fresh outta boot camp here seem to have a problem with every one navy though. (not all of em, just most of em). they always seem to have to outdo us. on the smoke deck outside the bar its always, were tougher than you, you guys suck, blah blah blah. i just sit back and observe. the ones who have been in the fleet, or whatever marines call it seem to not have such the problem with sailors.
    i will admit that the only thing ive done to poke fun at marines is to make the '"line to no where". if you get a few guys together and form a random line (like to the ladies room or somewhere funny) they will always randomly get in line with you without having any idea where the line is going to. :smile2:

but as a sailor, i can say that i get along with marines better than most other sailors, cause i dont have that animosity (sp) that most junior enlisted have.

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i can see a gunny in ordnance being pretty rough around the edges..:smile2: cause as they say if you aint ordnance, you aint somethin or other

16. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i guess i should clarify in my first post by "here" i meant in pensacola, not on the boc

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Well, As a recovering Marine,,,, I remember the spitshined dress covers we wore, and, in order for them to stay on, we had to screw them into place,, Like the threads on a jar...hence the term,,,
    NOOOO, we couldn't use the chinstrap that was part of that cover...be out of uniform,,