Hey guys. New southern California member looking for new places to fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by CatfishSeeker, Sep 11, 2006.

1. CatfishSeeker

CatfishSeeker New Member

State:
    California
    I'm a new guy to the forum and this is my first post. Unfortunately it's a negative one.

Went out to Irvine lake here in Southern California, lookin for some catfish. Ran over to a small area that I knew I could catch some bluegill, and I ended up with one. I motored over to the middle of the lake about 50 yards from the dam. I threw out the bluegill on a 5/0 Circle hook and waited. I baited up my second rod with some mackerel and waited. After an hour I switched the second rod to Catmando(chicken liver flavor) and again nothin. Overall, I ended the day with a skunk :( The bluegill didnt count cuz the hook missed his mouth and I got him in the belly.

Is there anyone in here from SoCal? I'd like to find some lakes for catfish, because all I have here is "pay to play" lakes and they're no good to fish at anyway. Very frustrating.

Seeker

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Welcome to the site!!

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I do not know the area just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE BOC

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    welcome to you....just dive in

5. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC!!

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Welcome to the BOC Thats why we call it fishing not catching we all get skunked some more than they want to admit:waaaht:

7. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Tom welcome to the B.O.C,alot of great people and alot of info to be had here.

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Thomas, welcome to the Brotherhood. We've got some folks from California that ought to check in with you shortly. We're glad to have you in the family and you just make yourself at home.

st

9. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Welcome Thomas to BOC theres a few southerners here they 'll get at you as they show up.

I was going to suggest you look around some but it seems they've CLEAN SWEEPED our board here of old threads, least thats whats seems to have happened......

10. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    can't help you for places to fish but welcome to the boc man. you could try the cali forum though

11. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC!!

12. My advice being a newbie as well is don't go to Silverwood Lake in late summer like around Labor Day. I went there with my girlfriend and we didnt catch anything all day. Even rented a boat for 3 hours and not a thing. I used corn, powerbait liver, nightcrawlers, nightcrawler eggs, jigs, and an immitation minnow... nothing at all.. even did some bank fishing for a few hours and that was ruined because of all the bees on the shore near the beaches. Other that that its a pay lake too.

Near here is Puddingstone Lake and I really don't hear much good fishing there either. Santa Fe Dam is a nice peaceful place to try that I havent. If you plan on doing serious fishing and doing it on pay lakes I reccommend buying the 150 dollar yearly pass to all pay lakes in California. I think thats how it goes. Let me know if you want to fish sometime it would work out better to do pay lakes if there is another to split the expenses. I go to college right now at Mt Sac and its tough to get away.

13. askins00

askins00 New Member

State:
    California
    Hey welcome to the B.O.C. I live in the area and lake perris isn't that bad of a spot since they lowered the lake levels. It is also much cheaper than those pay lakes and the fishing is much better. hope this helps.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

15. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi there,

welcome to the site.

as far as places to fish. if you dont want to pay. the Colorado river is the place to be.

I will be back in cali in a few weeks and will be heading down that way trying to get a few flats. if you would like to give it try let me know. the imperial valley is another good place for cats.

16. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC Thomas...:cool2:

17. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Thomas welcome to the boc, as Tim has said if you want some good cat fishing head to the river got lots of channels and some big flats to be found and there not stockers and its free just a 200 mile drive.

As far as fishing the vine bluehunter has the info on that, one other thing fishing on the vine with live bait is a no no , only place to fish with live bait in so cal is the river

18. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Thomas welcome to the boc, as Tim has said if you want some good cat fishing head to the river got lots of channels and some big flats to be found and there not stockers and its free just a 200 mile drive.

As far as fishing the vine bluehunter has the info on that, one other thing fishing on the vine with live bait is a no no , only place to fish with live bait in so cal is the river

< had to repost this post from last week, once again my post from last week ended up with a date posted 8/14/ 03 the # 1 post lol >

19. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Catfishseeker,welcome To The Brotherhood. Have Fun And Looking Forward To Reading Your Posts. Good Luck .

20. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Welcome to the BOC Thomas, there are a few of us from southern California here but not too many. Dale is right on about the Colorado river, some real good catfishing through there. The Channel cat on my avatar and profile pic came out of there at the Parker Strip. Closer to home is tough because so many lakes are private and the ones that are not private usually charge to park. Some of the private lakes stock up really good numbers of catfish but they nail you big to get in the gate. Hesperia lake, Corona lake, and Anaheim Lake are all stocking large numbers of catfish each week. Irvine lake is probably the best place to go that want cost you an arm and a leg to get into. I have heard there is a pretty decent catfish bite at Silverwood but I haven't been there in a long time. It can be real hit and miss there, you hear about people doing really well and also about plenty others getting skunked. My suggestion would be to stick it out at Irvine, I've seen a lot of pictures of some nice kitties coming out of there lately. Good luck to you, please post your reports on the BOC.