Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Hey guys just starting to get into the reloading thing. I will be reloading 25.06 an

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  canebreaker 
#1 ·
Need help. I have 117 gr. SST 25.06 rounds and have nothing for 243 yet. Would like some help in what kind of powder to get to get most fps and accurrcy. Any help appreciated.

#2 ·
There's no quick answer to your question unfortunately, every gun will have a preference. Depending on how you load you might consider staying with double base ball powders over single base extruded. The double base powders meter much better than single base, unless your willing to weight each load by hand with a scale and trickler. My personal preference are Western Powders, Accurate and Ramshot both make powders that work well for me. Here's a link to their website they have load data so you'll be able to see what might work for your calibers.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/

#3 ·
Like Mark said, "There's no quick answer to your question."
The load data will have a start and max charge for each powder and bullet weight. For rifle loads I use the start charge to load 5 rounds. Increase the charge by 0.05 gr and load 5 more, all the way to max charge. Mark and record each load, I use different color sharpies on the cases.
Here's another site for data.
http://www.hodgdon.com/

#5 ·
Let me explain the reason I bag each 5 rounds, I have in the past knocked or tipped over loading trays and ammo boxes while on the bench mixing them up and that is a pain in the rump. When the range session is over I staple each bag to the corresponding target and record the data when I get home.

#6 ·
Thanks guys for info. I recently bought the new hornaday reloading book. I have reload 22 for powder. Was happy to see when I got book it was one recomended for my 06 rounds. Thinking about getting the rock chucked single stage press. Plans are to load one at a time and to be very precise. Going for accuracy and relaxing the mind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.