Hey guys I have a question about my reel PLZ any help

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by ssskinner27, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I have a Pflueger PFL 66 series reel and all of the sudden when the drag is all the tightened the line just pulls right out it has a little bit of tension but a bluegill would pull out my drag. This reel wasnt cheap and I am losted it is a solid body and to get to the magnetic break assembly you have to take the whole reel apart. Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well it seems to me that u tightend the drag down to tight and smashed the washers flat.

3. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    i agree with the last post.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Also sounds like you might have kept the drag tightned down while not in use, this will also flatten out the drag washers and make them useless.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    As Andrew said, to keep this not happening again:
    1. Never tighten you drag to the max! You are not goliath grouper fishing!
    2. Loosen drags when reel is not in use. It takes 3 seconds and saves you from being in this situation again.

I currently have my PENN 525 MAG and Avet SX in the shop for this same reason:embarassed: $90 bucks later for both repairs. NO MORE WENCHING!

6. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Yo bud thanks for the info I know I have a bad habit of using stronger string and trying to horse them in I guess I better drop that habit if I go for flathead. How do the flatheads fight are they fast or slow and strong?

7. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    They are stong and steady. I am usually fishing close to structure, so I tighten my drag down pretty good. When the fish gets a little closer I loosen up the drag a little. I use Penn's cause it seems like they are the only brand that I have used, that you can crank down.

8. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Well go figure I bought a pretty expensive rell and it works great then takes a shit. I wish I was on this forum before I bought it but I learned from that mistake.

Thanks everyone for taking me in and chatting with me on this forum I am here to stay

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    If I was going to spend some money on a new baitcaster I would go with a Daiwa Saltist ($180-$200). The Daiwa Saltiga is the hgih end modle ($400-$470). They are designed for braid. Alot of charters use them in the Dry Tortugas for big Black Grouper and big Mutton Snapper.
    Another thing I have been thinking about is going to a lever-drag reel for flats. Penn has some ne ones out that are supposed to be pretty sweet.