hey guys biggest flathead catfish

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by thegavel, Aug 24, 2009.

1. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    My PB is 37lbs, this year is only 18lbs though

2. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    my biggest is 46lbs caught this year pre spawn but until that point it was 41 caught in the fall of 08 and I caught a 39 in early spring this year

3. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Biggest, 39lb 4 oz so far this year 16 and some change

I've caught about many flatheads this year as I have channels, much more than normal but they've mostly been in the 8-12 pound range .... The places where I like to get my big ones haven't been very good this year, the river (Mississippi) just won't clean up like it normally does this time of year because of all the rain, not so much because it rains but because it just pours .... Even the Rock (Which I fish just downstream from the mouth) has been muddier than normal all year which is helping keeping the Mississippi muddy

I was out today and it was still pretty murky (The tons of traffic on weekends don't help either) but I'm going out tomorrow afternoon and hopefully if they are biting run some lines and fish until dawn or so .... I'd planned on fishing below the dam at Coralville this week but the flow is way up and the weather after Tuesday afternoon looks bleak

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just over 41. I wasn't targeting flats either. Just one of them days I was just fishing the bank to catch a cat.

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    42 lbs here. Looking to get over that plateau soon.

6. flatty

flatty New Member

State:
    iowa
    56 pounds is my biggest so far, and 10 pounds is the biggest this year.

7. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i guess i wouldnt brag about one on a limb line but whatever floats your boat,my pb flatty is 15lbs,my biggest this year is 5lbs.all were caught on R&R

8. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    No bragging here, just the facts, 42 lbs. 7 oz.

9. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Last night was another typical 2009 night for me, caught 2 channels about 1 1/2 pounds each and 3 flathead between 7 and 10 pounds

I've never caught so many 6-10 pound flatheads in one season, cripes probably in any two seasons. Usually when you have a big flood you have a good catfish spawn, a couple three years ago the 2001 year class was producing a bunch of 3-4 pound channels, I suspect these are mostly from that year class, I doubt the 2004 class (next big flood) have gotten that big yet but I don't know the growth rates of flats compared to channels ... An Iowa fish biologist once told me that you get a nice load of 3-4 pound channels about 5-6 years after a major flood

10. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    :roll_eyes:

11. Ms. Cat'n Around

Ms. Cat'n Around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro, North Carolina
    my pb is 47lbs, this year so far my biggest is it 42lbs.

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It's cool to see what's happening in IOWA. Especially interior rivers. It hurts me to say that my biggest fish is just slightly bigger than Preston's. But I feel like I got real lucky this year. Lotto winner lucky.

I've been trying to find Mr Big for 7 or 8 years. You learn a little each year. The first 3-4 years I think my biggest was maybe 15#. Two years ago 27# and nothing else big at all. Last year a couple of 20's and a few smaller ones.

13. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

:confused2:wait I'm confused:confused2: what's your biggest? :smile2:

14. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    64 last year and 43 this been fishing for blues mostly.

15. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It was right at 50. I think my scale is pretty close because 47x31 looks right in there on Dtro's chart. It's all meaningless unless we can catch her next year.

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well this yr its 18lbs for me with a 30lb pb hopping to get them # a lill higher in the meantime slingin lead (LOL) Iowa has big fish to (LOL)oh yeah!

17. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yessir!! I'm going to get a 50 before the season ends.