Hey Garry, got a question

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by jlingle, Dec 9, 2008.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    This may be the dumbest trapping question ever, but here goes....

I noticed that my coyote trapping bait smelled a lot like regular old stinkbait. Do you know if anyone has ever tried using catfish bait in a dirthole set for coyotes/cats? I was using Nelson bait at my sets but I'm out. What if I used some punchbait?

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Stinkbait (I use sonys) is an excellant bait for coons! I use it all the time with great success. I have never used it for coyotes. My guess is that it would get you more posums and skunks than you want to deal with in a coyote set.

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I have to agree with Brian .... I think you would catch a lot of skunks and grinners .... if it were me I would try fox bait or lure if I had some ... I have heard of guys catching more yotes on fox bait than fox, especially if you have a high concentration of yotes in the area ..... As is well know that yotes hate red fox and will kill them just for the sake of killing them ... Garry-

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Do you ever do any bobcat trapping? We've got some cats on a couple of my dad's places. I've caught them before but I'm always looking for more tips. Do you have any suggestions for bait on cats? I've been thinking about trying either Forget's Pikauba or Cachottier (sp?) or going with some O'Gorman's Powder River bait. Heck.... I don't know. The last time I ordered bait, I got some REALLY funny looks from the post office when I went to pick it up. It wasn't packaged terribly well & leaked just a bit.:smile2: They just had to ask what on earth was in that box that smelled so horrible. Anyway, any suggestions you might have would be really helpful.

BTW, you're the spitting image of a fella my dad used to be friends with, and his name was Gary as well. He passed away a couple of years ago, a suicidal lady in a Porsche hit him head-on while trying to kill herself. Gary was a man of God, and one of the most wise fellas I've ever been around. Anyway, when I saw your picture I about pooped. You look just like him.

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Jerrod .... Sorry have never cat trapped .. there is no season on them in Ohio ... I am humbled to be able to look like the man you were speaking of ... and I am slowly (with age) gaining some wisdom .... hopefully live long enough to be able to use it .... Garry-

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Okay, here's my plan then: I'm gonna make about 8 dirthole sets in the area where I've been seeing the cat sign. Actually there's 3 different spots within about 500 yards. I figure after weeding out the riff-raff, I'll get down to catching some cats. I ordered some dobbins bait today, some of their purrrfect, and a canine bait as well. We'll see how that works. I'm going to put together a couple of live traps as well for a few spots that I'm thinking I can catch a few cats in as well. I think I can wire up some bunny roadkill in the backs of those cage traps & probably nail a kitty or two. It's worked before, and I figure what one man can do.... another man can do. I know good and well I'll catch a few coyotes while trying for the cats. That'll make me just as happy. Too bad they ain't worth anything.

My little boy is chomping at the bit. He absolutely loves going with me to run traps.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jerrod,Try using an egg that you have pierced a hole in one end about the size of a dime,Shake the contents out and let dry. Then stuff a bit of cottonball in it and add a dab of good cat call lure. Place it in a hollowed out clump of tall grass as a backing. Add a turkey feather hanging near it as a visual attractor and wait paitently.

Another set I had great luck with in the past is a "toilet set,Find a cat toilet and place in a bag,Transport to a likely place with cat sign and make a flat set using the scat and piled up dirt as a visual attractor.

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jerrod ... The Puurrrfect Lure is one of the best ... at least so I have heard .... I bought some of it, but not for cats .... I had a set that the coon kept coming around, but couldn't catch them .... I made a dirthole set and didn't use a backing and didn't put any bait in the hole .... then I stuck thumb size diameter sticks about a foot apart and 18 to 24 inches away from the hole set ... on basically 3 sides of the set and smeared some Purrrfect on the tops of the stick (which were from 12 to 36 inches tall). I did this yesterday and had a nice coon there this morning .... so the stuff works on everything ........ Oh yes, this was a 3 legged coon that I had caught earlier, but chewed out and got away ..... Garry-

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Thanks for the help guys. One of the most satisfying catches I ever made, was on a really smart coon. I ended up having to make a really cheesey looking trapset as a decoy, and set in front of that, using some blocking. I made sure he could pick out where the first set was made, and used the same bait and everything just like I'd been using. He walked right into the new trap. Nailed his butt the first night I did that. He kept flipping my trap, kinda like it was a game to him. He was a big ol' smart-aleck boar coon.

10. FLETCH

FLETCH Member

State:
    Villisca Iowa
    Name:
    Ron
    I have never tried stinkbait on yotes but try this the guy I bought that 22-250 rifle from was a farmer and he trapped on his farm he took me with him on his line many times he used this set called the burnt wood set it is really easy to make just burn some wood till you get a nice pile of ashes let them cool a day or so then bury yer traps right in the ashes it works believe me I have used this set alot it's one of my favorite I use it on frozen sandbars here in Iowa it does'nt freeze to good and coyote and fox like to dig in it. try it I think it will work for you to. Ivve caught alot with that set.

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

How deep do you set your trap and doesnt the wind blow the ashes away?