Hey everyone (wood rats)

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by sds888, Nov 1, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    been a long time since I have been in here Trapping is going great this year so far. I need some new ideas with wood rats. The ones around the house are getting tired of all my assault and I think they are on the run. Well I have shot them trapped them and had a dog after them. Now what? I think they are getting smart so i have to get smarter. Ok this is how I trap rats. First thing I do is put traps along walls with no bait. The rats use their wiskers at night to feel the wall so they no where they are going until the get a pee line going. Then I go for bait 1st peanut butter 2nd cheese 3rd peanut butter with nuts 4th peanut buter with walnut extract mixed in 5th sunflower seeds then back to the peanut butter. Everyone I use untill I stop getting any thats when I which to the next step. Ohh I have also used poision on a snap trap that catches them quick and great for mice on glue boards. But I saw another one tonight in my garden. How ever it ran then I heard it squel and it had run right into a rat snake which took it out. What luck. But I know I have them on the decline and I dont want to put poision out that ruins the fun. So I was wonder if yall had any other sugesstions This will be interesting. Thanks
    Stephen

2. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    well caught two more last night but these were norway rats. I think the marine woodrats are sending in the army norway rats for backup. The war continues and it always will since I live in the boonies.
    Stephen

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Moth balls work under the house and in cabinets. I wouldn't put them out in the open where kids and animales could get into them though.

4. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    thanks laidbck111 but I am looking to trap them I have a four gallon bucket of rat posion but I like the trapping method the best just for the sport. I got another one tonight already.
    thanks stephen

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    heres a trap that you dont need to reset , first get a 30 gallon barrel then drill two 1/4 inch holes opposite each other at the top then find a 1 lb coffee can with both ends intact and drill a 1/4 inch hole in each end at the exact center take a piece of # 9 wire run it through the can so it spins then put it on the barrel suspended over the top[make sure the top is out of the barrel] tie the wire tight at the holes then place bacon grease on the can lay a 1x4 for a ladder and pour about 10 gallons of water in barrel,the rats walk up the board ,jump to the can ,slip off and into barrel then they drown

6. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    An old Forest Service trick is to use a 5 gal. bucket. Drill two holes about 1/2 to 1 inch down from the top rim and across from each other. Take a broom handle or dowl the same width as the bucket and attach with one nail through the hole and into the end of the dowl. Can't be too tight so it can spin easily. Fill the bucket 3/4 of the way up with water and put peanut butter in the middle of the dowl and on the top side. A 3 or 4 foot 1x4 makes a good ramp. The rat or mouse goes up the ramp, steps out on the dowl to get the peanut butter and the dowl spins and dumps him into the bucket. In cold weather you can add some anti freeze to the water and its good year round. Work great rat after rat. Just rebait once in a while and you have a rat catching machine....... Good Ratting...

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That was the same as what i was talking about except on a larger scale i used the 5 gal bucket in the barn for mice but the rats could jump off sometimes