Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
I did a little looking at the Whisker Seeker rods. Here is what I think you should look at.

”More important things”.
Rod Power. For bigger catfish you would want the medium heavy or Heavy rod. If your fishing strong current, the heavy might be the better choice.

Rod Action. Because of what seems to be the most preferred hook,(a circle hook) the best rod action is a fast action. A moderate fast action would be the second choice. This means fast action has a more flexible tip and the most flex is towards the tip. A moderate fast action rod will work but the flex is from the middle to the tip.

I am identifying the difference because the fast action seems to only be available in the heavy power rod. The heavy, medium heavy and on towards the lighter power rods is an indication of backbone.

So, my opinion HAVING NEVER OWNED ONE OF THESE RODS. if your fishing strong current, go with the heavy power in a 7’6” rod. I typically fish moderate to light current or lakes so I get the medium heavy rods with a fast action. The moderate fast action should work but I have not used them.

The stainless steel tip and eyes are pretty much standard on cat rods and if used correctly will hold up to braid well.

The other three options are personal preference. Grip material. I have both foam and cork grips and like both. Reel seat, aluminum or composite, both will work fine. Having a trigger or no trigger. I use both and like both. When fighting a big fish, I really don’t even notice which I have.

I hope this is helpful.

Keep in mind that the most important components of your setup starts at the hook and works it’s way back making the rod and reel actually the lesser in importance.

Decent SHARP hook, decent line (check it often for abrasion), rod tip kept high and have your drag set to give line when needed. These things equal fish in the boat. Then released unless your hunger.

tight lines
there may be other opinions but there is also more than one way to skin a cat. Poor cat.

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
One of the main reasons for going with medium heavy or heavy is the current you are fishing.

Since the Miss and Missouri are known for heavy current, the heavy rod would be a good choice. D is more accustom to that type of current Than I am. I fish the Ohio and Tennessee Rivers which are slow and easy in comparison.

Because of that current, the moderate fast action might be the better choice also. Again, I am fishing light current.

I would also think the heavy would be best for that current.

Now I know rods are not cheap and shipping is high for rods but most if not all companies will ship 3, 4, or even 5 rods for the same price as one.

trigger or no trigger they will put fish in the boat.

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
Thanks twaskom. With outfitting a new boat and at $90 a pop, one will have to do for now. I have plenty of other rods for now. I will take your suggestions for the heavy. The Mo. is swift and turbulent.
Most of us gets rods one at a time. Some like me are lucky enough to live a reasonable drive from the Catfish Conference where rods are discounted a little and we save the shipping. Our local group often went together so we could get the quantity discount..

most of us also use casting reels. When looking for rods I wasn’t thinking about spinning.

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
Haha, we did And we are. These unusual members that join and use one word sentences typically try to scam one or more members in some way before it is done. Admin does a good job of nipping it in the bud , you might say.

tight lines

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
She is not the first and won’t be the last. Give everyone a chance. There are some good male and female fishermen out there and some guys and gals that really want to learn more about fishing. You can usually tell if they are really interested by their responses. Their avatar is often a little out of place.

Just be careful about handing out personnel information.

If anything happens that your concerned about, report it to the moderators or Admin. They get a red flag in the upper corner and they will check on it.

tight lines

1 - 6 of 43 Posts