Hey chest freezer guys!

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by kyleco55, Sep 22, 2009.

1. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    Ive had a chest freezer set up for a while now, and ive had alot of success keeping bait alive in it. sometimes its overcrowded, sometimes nearly empty. so i believe ive got a pretty good filtration set-up, and enough oxygen going into the water. but heres my problem...

i bought a small submersible pool pump/filter from the net a while back, and use it as a "main filter" and ive also got a small (160GPH) pond pump inside of a plastic coffee can, with the lid on, 1000s of tiny holes drilled in it, filled with poly fill pillow stuffing as my "secondary" filter. between the two of them, the water slowly warms up. i left it running for a week straight on accident, and the water temp got up to 92 in my 65 degree basement. (somehow one poor creekchub was left behind, and it actually survived)
    well i filled my tank back up with bait a few days ago, and did a partial water change, mainly to cool it down. yesterday it was right around 80 degrees so i plugeed the freezer in for a bit. no problem, ive done this before with great success. well i forgot to unplug it untill this morning, and not so suprised my water was at 30 degrees. Ironically, there was only 1 creek chub still alive. i have no idea if it was the same one!!

MY QUESTION TO YOU... do you guys have your tanks on some sort of timer system? for the freezer feature? or the air pump and/or filters? how do you regulate water temps? and will this method work if your away a few days? example: baby was sick and in the hospital a few weeks ago, so i wasnt home at all for 4 days. all bait dead when i got home!

im including a picture of my "tank"

thanks in advance for the help/ ideas!

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for sharing Kyle. May be very helpful in setting mine up. Reps given.:wink:

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    need to get away from the submersible pumps... that way you dont have to worry so much about heat soak..

4. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    IF i remember right adam, dont you have a freezer also? how do you get by on filtering?

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i havent used mine in a while.. i never rigged a filter on mine but i used a paddle airator like the bait shops use so i wouldnt have the problem you are having now.....

6. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I tned to agree. I think you need to get rid of that submersible pump. I would keep the 2 pump set up I have a floating pump that might work there.

7. kyleco55

State:
    Central In

well money is kinda tight right now, but any info on where to find something later?

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yep..ya need a pump that doesn't heat up. I use pond pumps myself.

9. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    and yours dont heat up??

10. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    :smile2: my other "on hand option" is.. a family member just tore down a 24' diameter, 4' deep pool. i got the HAYWARD above ground pool pump/ sand filter. this thing has a 5/8hp motor on it, and is for some serious water movement! im thinking its slightly OVERKILL for that small of a tank..lol

11. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
  12. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Kyle, just an FYI...

The temp probe on the cheaper model is not submersible so you would have to seal it with shrink tube or something.

Glad I could help out bro'.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    No mine does not heat up at all, nor should it.

14. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I like that tstat Idea. Not everyone has a cool basement to locate it. And since the freezer has the capacity to keep it cool and cool baitfish are happy baitfish. I like it.

15. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah those chest freezers are the way to go! Heckuva idea Kyle had. You can get a small 5 cu ft model new for less than $200.

You could probably pick up a used full sized model for $100. People are always selling these things. Who cares what it looks like, as long as at doesn't leak.

16. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    actually i got mine when some people moved from a house.. they was going to leave it on the front porch.. heck with that.. it still works! i got 2 of them from there, that worked, and had one other already

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Kyle

Google search Pondmaster, you can find them on Ebay too. These submersible pumps run forever and generate very little heat, and will pay for themselves in electricity saved. Look at theMag Drives, the PM-2, PM-3, and PM-5 pumps, you should be able to find what you need for $50-$70 shipped to your door. I've been using a PM-3 for 3 or 4 years now with no problems.

18. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    just a observation, you would get more oxygen conversion by putting both airstones at the deepest part of your tank,the longer the bubbles are in the water the more O2 is absorbed by the water. I would try putting the smaller filter in the bottom and trying to run without the pond pump for a while just to try it out,you may have to do a little more cleaning each week,but it should take care of your water heating problems,also make a wire screen for the top so you can leave the lid open,this would allow alot of the heat to dissipate into the air,instead of keeping it in a insulated box.