Hey Buddy you got a Match!!

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by TOPS, Oct 5, 2009.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    That darn truck still will not start Put a new coil on it same thing, I have never had anything to Kick my butt like this truck,I hared a man to put one of those hand held cpmputer on HE could not find the Problem How can you analyze or trouble shoot a problem without the truck running!! Take it to a professional well I did,Nothing.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    top was the truck running when you got it?
    do you ave injector pulse?
    do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail?
    do you get any spark at the coil wire? [not at the plugs]
    be sure ALL AND I MEAN ALL grounds are hooked up!!! triple check this it is really important on fords

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I believe the fuel Problem is fixed, Now it is not firing at all or firing intermittently, The man I hired was stumped, he did get the truck to fire ever once in a while, when it did fire correctly it almost started but the firing would not last. what ground are you talking about, the one from the firewall to the engine or the ground to the battery?

Fuel Pressure is ok, I had to buy a fuel pressure tester.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    tops,man it's hard to diagnose truck problems long distance. When you bought the truck,it wasn't running,right? Do you have any idea of what happened to the truck when it broke down? Check and make sure all the fuses,etc. are good, And that they are all there,that someone didn't borrow any little parts. look for the emergency fuel shut off,there is a switch that shuts off fuel to the engine if your in a accident,on some a good stiff bump against a bumper will cause this to trigger and shut off the fuel,the reset button is usually somewhere on the interior firewall. the ecm is a electronic control module that is on the distributor,when they go bad the motor won't start.but that should have thrown a code at the mechanics shop. A little history on the trucks last time it ran would help alot! Also check that both wires going to the pos. side of the battery are hooked up good,the big one suppplies power to the starter,the little one supplys power to the switches and computer to let it start. Help me out here and tell me everything you can about the trucks history and did the folks you bought it from say anything about what happened?

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    do you have any spark at all?

does the truck sputter or back fire at all?

If so at this point Im gonna say the timing is out.

unfortunately a code scanner ain't gonna help you now, you need to make sure you have fuel and spark to all cylinders.

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    top there are ground in the wireing harness that go to various spots on the engine but i cant tell you were because im not at the shop with my manuals.. if the spark is itermittent i would change the module on the distributor new or not ..

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    go read his first posts its all in there.......

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I say again it did fire intemittely, put a inline spark tester on it it would spark some time three times stop for two or three seconds then fire again, then stop again. I am very sure the fuel is fixet it is all spark now, maybe a ground wire not hooked up but do not know how many there are.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    soumds like bad module or pickup in distributor..

10. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj

he snuck that second post in before i replied so i didn't see it:tounge_out:

I think you either got some bad new parts or you have a wiring/pcm issue. have you checked over the wiring harness real well I have found a few that the wires were either chaffed or burnt and the turck would not start.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  11. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I went through this same crap with my stupid truck. I replaced the entire distrubutor, because not only does it have an outter ignition module, it also has another electronic sensor down inside the distributor. I replaced the starter, alternator, coil, every sensor in the truck, oil pressure sending unit as well as the temperature sensor and fuel pump relay and ALL THREE fuel pumps. The bastard STILL wouldn't start. I left it set for two weeks and it fired right up. Ten minutes later no start AGAIN. Come to find out on my '89 ford. on the drivers fender well there are a bunch of relays that go to the ignition and starter and fuel pump. I replaced all this crap and come to find out that there was corrosion in the connections and one wire to the ignition had been cut and spliced and was not making contact INSIDE the splice. I opened the splice, cleaned the ends of the wire and twisted it back together real tight. I DIDN'T RE-TAPE THE WIRE. Just pulled it over to where it couldn't come in contact with anything else.
    Truck fired right up . No more problem.
    This may not be your problem, but I hope it leads you to a solution that doesn't cost the fortune I spent on my piece of junk.

12. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    you should be able to take your ecm to a parts store and have it tested. Check your spark plug wires with an ohm meter. Go watch under the hood in the dark while someone else cranks it to look for any sparks if you see sparks then you might have bad plug wires. If you have a pull you're own junk yard nearby go see if you can find a different ECM and coil for a few bucks.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Tops I don't know if your truck has this r not but neighbor was having basically the same problems.Couldn't keep truck running.on his 99Dodge.His problem was what they call a [ Crank Position Censor] 99.00 part and now it runs just fine.