Hey Bill, about those Blue Cat reels...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAinSC, May 20, 2008.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a quick question about the Catfish Connection blue cat reels. I remember that ou bought a couple, so I figured I's ask you.

Are they a 4 bearing reel? (3 ball bearings plus the instant antireverse roller bearing?) Or a 3 bearing reel (2 + 1)?

I have a new rod on order and I think that reel may be the perfect match.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    J, it has three stainless steel bearings. It is as smooth as silk to operate. I like the titanium line guide feature, especially since I switched to braided line. It's basically a custom 6500. I highly recommend it at $89.95 from Catfish Connection. Pay an extra $5 and it will be at your door real fast! Heck, buy it and if you don't like it, I'll buy it off you, guaranteed.
    BB in SC

3. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    also check out the black cat reels on catfish connection:wink:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think the 'Black Cat' has been discontinued. Haven't seen them on their site or catalog lately.
    BB in SC

5. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I love my abu's... Heck I got 5 of them so I better love em..

But here is a horse daddy... I own this reel but have a 8 foot Ugly with it.

This price and combo is a great deal for someone who loves to catch the bigens (Fresh or Salt water).

Heck I got a deal on the reel. My model sells for around $95 on the internet. I bought it for $60 on ebay brand new. Paid another $90 for the rod, so the
    deal that boaters world has going on now is a DEAL!

http://www.boatersworld.com/product...cfsgod_DDFDA&gtse=goog&gtkw=penn+113h#reviews

That reel will horse up anything you hook up with. Thats my shark fishing reel.

later...
    Ron

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys. The new rod (Shimano "Sojourn" muskie rod) ought to show up late this week and then I'll decide what to do for a reel. I might be able to shuffle around the reels I have now. From what I have seen, the Blue Cat or a 6500 TC seem like the way to go, although the TC has the higher gear ration which I don't like much for cats.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <although the TC has the higher gear ration which I don't like much for cats.>

Good point! I wondered how I would like the higher gear ratio, when I recently ordered my new 6.3:1 6500TC. Since I do most of my winching with the rod instead of the reel, I didn't figure it would matter. I also figured the higher ratio might enable me to get my rig back up off the bottom and reeled in through the snags more quickly and efficiently. Time will tell. All my other reels, including the 'Blue Cats', are 5.1:3 ratio.
    Bill in SC

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    That is a REAL deal at Boaters World!

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a 6500 c4 with the higher gear ratio. I think you will be happy with it. The 4 bearing reels are noticably tighter and smoother than the C3's. It might really help keep the rigs up on the retrieve, but a 5.3:1 does that pretty well, too. With the 6+:1, I felt like I was loosing power - I'd actually have to pump the rod when retrieving instead of just cranking it in. With the power handle, though, that might be OK. Mine had the double paddle handle. I bought the replacement gears for it online and turned it into a 5.3:1.

I have a couple of old Penn levelmatics with like a 3.5:1 gear ratio. Retrieving after a long cast with one of those takes forever!

10. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have the same blue cat reel as bill and caught my pb 47 lb flathead on it. The reel horsed it in through some structure. I highly recomend the reel. I use braided on my abu's and the only problem I had was the line slipping on the reel, but a little electrical tape on the spool fixed that right up.:big_smile: