Hey are fishing barometers any use

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by trashman, Dec 6, 2006.

1. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    hey i'm makeing my santa list and was wondering if a fishing barometer should be on it.anybody know about them

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's probably a million better things to put on your Christmas list...

Fish when you can and don't worry about the barometer.

3. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Good advice Marty.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Brent
    I too fish whenever I can get a chance but...... a falling barometer just before a front drives the fish into a feeding frenzy and is especially helpful in planning those last minute trips before a storm. Ask any guide that fishes for a living....a day where the barometer drops steady all day is a day they catch a lot of fish. Of course, Im likethe others, when I get ready to go .......I go......dont care what the barometer is doing !!!

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I have a cheap barometer on my boat, do I believe in their accuracy ? YES but I still go fishing whenever I can irregardless of what it's doing.

I go to have fun & relax. Catching the fish is just a plus:tounge_out:

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    With all the online weather stuff these days, owning your own barometer isn't necessary. If you really want one, get it, but is another toy.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have two of them just setting in a junk drawer now. problem with barometors is that if you change elevation, even the slightests (i'd bet even going from the ground to the roof of your house) will throw it off and it will need re-adjusted. with all the online resources now there really isnt a need to carry one unless you want to check it hour by hour, and even then i find it easier to carry a weatherband and check it once at the top of the hopur when it updates.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you're still thinking about getting a barometer, answer this:

What will you do differently if you get on the water and the barometer reads 30.35" than if it reads 29.95"?

If you can't answer that, you probably don't need a barometer.

(BTW, there is no real answer to the question; the current reading of the barometer is useless - you need to know the trend (up or down) and how long its going to be trending that direction. And you can get all of that on the internet before you even leave home...)

9. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What do you guys do differently with a falling barometer rather then a rising barometer?

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I look out, check the temp, check the predicted wind speed/direction, check the rain prediction, then go fishing. Don't pay too much attention to the barometer.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well, it seems fish respond differently to the barometor in different parts of the country for some reason because a falling barometor in these parts will get you absolutely nothing, lake river or anywhere. if i'm debating wheather to stay for the next 2hrs or leave, and the barometor has been falling, i'm outa there. now if its been falling, and it suddenly has risin in the last hour or two then i'll stay. one thing i learned this year is it seems like it takes about 3hrs of a rise for fish to start feeding really good after its been steady or has been falling. i hear about guys down south (tennesee and south) favoring a falling barometor for fishing. is it blues your targeting? shallow water lakes? just curious, i nor anyone i know can catch anything (channels and flatties)when its falling, always rising. if it goes from 30.35 down to 29.95? im definately outa there! heavy storms approaching!:crazy:

12. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Hey Dink, I just posted above that I'm not a fan of barometers but you've got my attention. You actually do use one and it actually is a useful fishing tool ? How long have you been using one ? When you say you and others you know catch nothing on a falling barometer do you really mean Nothing ? I'm not doubting you , just making sure I understand you. I think there may be something here for this old man to learn and I don't want to pass up the chance. Hope you post up some more on this subject cause I'm definitely interested. I think I will dig my old one out of the closet and dust it off this year and put it in the boat. That's all I need is more stuff in my boat, but that's where it's going. I'll keep notes on it and let anyone know who's interested what I find out. Dink , I'd love to compare notes with you, or anyone else on this in the coming year. It would be interesting if nothing else. Thanks for the post. Hope to hear more from you.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I dont have or use one, I fish when I can. I do have friends that do have them and use them, they wont go unless everything is right.

14. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    hey thanks guys thats allot of info i'l prolly get one to put on the dash of my boat so at least i'l have one gauge that moves

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I go fishing anytime I can but, looking back in my log book I find almost all the big flatheads came during a change in the barometric pressure. Around 95% of the big flatheads(40lb and up) were caught while the pressure was changing, either falling or rising. The storms I ride out, either in my jeep or under a tarp. I mainly fish two lakes, one is a shallow about 15ft deep. The Cumberland river runs through the other lake and it's 45-50ft deep at the spot I mostly fish.

16. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Over the years I have tried to discover why some days the fishing is better than other days. I have looked at temp, moon phase, barometer, etc. My only conclusion is that some days fish bite and other days they don't.