HEY anyone have any ideas about what fish I heard this weekend?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by ssskinner27, May 12, 2009.

1. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I was fishing the Susquehanna River this past weekend and I was getting small bites and some big bites every 5 mimutes all night. Well the whole time I was fishing their was fish jumping everywhere around us I mean like 100's of them any idea what they could be at this time of the year?

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't know about the bites and tugs, but the fish splashing around were most likely spawning carp.:embarassed:

3. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Are the Carp spawning already? And can these carp be caught while spawning?

4. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    We saw some of the same thing on the Potomac. Also there was a large number of may flies out near evening. I figured it was the small mouth hitting the may flies.

5. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Ill tell you what if these were smallmouth they were the biggest smallmouth in the world LOL I am not sure exactly what they were but I did get a little glimpse of 1 and it kinda looked like a channel but then again I am not sure I know they were not all channels but I think Blacky is right probably Carp but I thought they spawned a little later?

6. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Yeah I thought the carp spawned later on in the year myself. On the other hand I've seen some big smallmouths pulled out of the larger rivers. Either way keep fishing there and run everything you have by them sooner or later you'll get one, Then you can tell use what they were...good luck:wink:

7. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    where i fish there tons of grass carp splashing all around. in the day you can see their tails slappin the water.

8. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I think they might have been carp but they were jumping and splashing around on the sides and all the way out near the middle of the river so I dont no but whatever they were they were big and I had like 50 bites but they seamed to be small bites on pretty big pieces of bait. So maybe it was the carp trying to bite my bait and couldnt get all the way in or something

9. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i think they were most definitely carp, me and my old man bowfish em all the time this time of year(when im there) and the spawn should be in full swing from what he was tellin me yesterday

10. Definately Carp.:wink: Sounds like a cinder block landing in the river right?:eek:oooh: Does that this time every year. Kind of spooks ya when your out on the boat at night catfishing!:confused2: Hahaha..:smile2::smile2: