Hesperia~Lake Catfishing

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catman2, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    Ive been here a few times, mostly night fishing, got bites but have not caught anything, I'm thinking of trying out the circle hooks, I heard the hook sets itself so to speak, because I must be setting the hook to early, late or ? I know I'm doing something wrong, or just bad luck, if anybody wants to meet me there some Friday or Saturday day or night to show me what I'm doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated.
    Russ~

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Circle hooks can work quite well but the fish has to pick up the bait in its mouth and swim off with it.
    When the line tightens up, the hook, due to the circle shape, will slide to the corner of the fishes mouth and tend to lodge there. One draw back is that you don't bury the hook in the bait, you just run it through the bait, leaving the hook point exposed. Generally speaking catfish don't care if they see the hook, they are not hook or line shy so that's not a problem.
    When you get a bite, raise your rod and allow the rod to load (bend under the weight of the fish) and then just reel through the bite.
    Very light bites are often missed with circle hooks but any fish that runs should get hooked if you can resist the urge to set the hook sharply.
    Another advantage is that most of the time even if the fish swallows the hook it will slide out of it's gullet and still end up in the corner of the mouth, a great advantage when it come to CPR or just getting the fish off the hook.
    If you get into a good bite resist the urge to try and catch too many fish on one hook with out changing or sharpening the point they do get dull and will cause you to miss fish you would have caught with a sharper hook.

3. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    Hi, thanks, I have heard differing tactics, should I leave the bail open to allow the fish to swim off and then close the bail and start reeling him in?

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    You'll just have to see what works best for you. Do you normally fish with the bail open or are you a tight liner?
    I mostly allow a little run before closing the bail to make sure the fish has picked up the bait and is not just tasting it.

5. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    if you are wanting to use a circle hook then you don't want to use open bail. Like Tom said, you have to let the pole load up and you can't really do that with an open bail. Your problem could be something simple like not having sharp enough hooks. You'll loose 8 out of 10 fish with dull hooks. Even most new hooks are not sharp enough in my opinion. If you dont want to sharpen hooks, then the chemically or lazer sharpened hooks are usually ok out of the pack. But again, don't try to catch too many without sharpening or retying another. Just my two cents

6. loanguybri

loanguybri New Member

State:
    California
    My grandpa taught me how to tell if a hook is sharp enough. Just drag the point of the hook across your thumbnail. If it snags or catches on your nail, then it is sharp, otherwise change or sharpen your hook. I also am struggling with the fish, but after reading this post, I think I am setting the hook too hard.

7. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    Yea I agree to checking your hooks, I use laser and eagle claw, but I checked against the nail trick and they are very sharp, Im with the idea that either Im pulling to hard and ripping the bait out to soon (my trip to hesperia lake for night fishing) my bell went off, my pole was bending (load) I got the pole out of the holder, held it up and started reeling him in after about a 5 second fight he was gone, when I reeled it in I was surprised the bait was still on the hook (berkley nightcrawler dipped in hog wild). so I must have pulled it out its mouth, not set correctly.
    Im going to try out those circle hooks for the heck of it.
    Thanks.

8. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    Hi Tom, thanks for the reply, I fish with bail closed, tight lined, I have read others leaving it open to give a better % of hook-ups, but I havent yet tryed it, so on my next outting I will at least give it a try.
    does anybody else out there leave ur bail open while waiting for him to run with it awhile before setting hook?

9. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    :0a26:whats up russ, hey alot of guys use bobbers under the third eye lid, cast out, tight line, then take your bobber and hook it under the thrid eye lid and pull down till your bobber hangs, watch that bobber to go up, and you have a fish running off with your hook and bait:cool2:

10. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    it might be expensive here but they have some decent sized cats here that are stocked.... last time i went i caught 3, didnt have a scale but they were over 16inchs, one over 24inches, anyways its a good place, i fished with anchovies, chicken livers, nightcrawlers and mackrel, for some reason for the past month i have forgotten my shrimp:angry:, so good luck to you and maybe we should hit up that lake together, i have a buddy in phelen that goes with me, so when you wanna go and im not to busy hit me up bud...

Mikey