Herschel Walker's MMA debut

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Anyone else see the news clip on Herschel Walker signing to fight his MMA debut?! Yes Herschel Walker, heisman trophy winner, ex pro foot ball player...I think now in his late 40's. I dont know who he is fighting but it will most likely be on the same night as Bobby Lashley's next fight.

2. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is supposed to be the same night, and he's fighting a nobody. It's all for money. Walker is saying he is donating his money to charity which is cool, but if they actually televise this fight, it's rediculous. Strikeforce is dumb for even wanting to put Walker on a card along with Lashley. Let's face it though, Strikeforce needs to make money......so they have to put people on that will hopefully pull in more people that normally wouldn't watch.

Lashley's fight is in trouble though. Florida commission denied Lashley's opponent because they think it was too much of a mis-match. Really makes Strikeforce look legit with them already mismatching a fight that bad. I don't know of any other time any commission has denied a liscense because of the obvious mismatch. Oh wait, maybe that's because outside of the Japan orgs nobody else actually mismatches fighters:time-out:
    with 2 weeks to find someone suitable for Lashley to fight, I doubt they will. They'll prob end up moving him to the next card. just goes to show that just because a former WWE star in Brock was able to draw fans, but came in against top notch fighters doesn't mean you can take another former WWE star and put him up against cans to attempt the same draw and make it work.

3. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Is this fight going to be on tv? I like to watch it.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wish i could see it live..and get him to autograph my copy of tecmo bowl lol

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All the fight cards from Strikeforce are televised, so you are in luck! Showtime

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  6. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I got to see the fight.
    Walker's opponent didn't seem to know what he was doing, he had a 1-1 record but looked very raw. I think they picked a guy that would not emberress the hell out of Walker. The old man really does not move like a MMA fighter, doesn't seem like he knows any ground technics. IMO, theyt hype it up to put butts on the seats.

the two girls put up a show, good fight with lots of action.

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    So...who won? I am assuming that Walker did? Was it on points?

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    TKO. 3rd round. I thought he did great! Yeah...the guy he fought didn't know what he was doing, but that's not Herschel's fault. The guy does have a professional record...Herscel did not. He has a good sprawl. When they were on the ground, Herschel transitioned good, passed guard, and got the back good, but he didn't seem to know what to once he was in a dominant possition. No attempts at any submissions, which he could have taken at any time. I think most of the time he was trying to get the crucifix or the "darkness" (lol). He ended up just pinning the guy down, and punched him in the shoulder 'till the ref stopped the fight. At 47, that dude is ripped!

The Robby Lawler Vs. Maheuf fight was exciting. Robby was getting beat up...and his legs were getting destroyed by huge leg kicks. Then out of nowhere, Robby catches him with a right hook, and drops the dude unconscious.

Nick Diaz won by KO too. Zaromskis came out with a kick, and Diaz grabbed a single leg, drove him into the fence, and kneed him in the leg 'till he was pretty much crippled, then unleashed his fists. He landed about 200 strikes in under 2 minutes.

Cyborg won...of course, but it was a pretty good fight.

Lashley won easily. He doesn't have a bad attitude, and said he has alot of work to do.

I thought it was some pretty good fights. Strikeforce I usually expect a freakshow, lol.

9. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I exagerated Diaz's numbers, but not by much, lol.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I havent watched the cyborg fight yet but the other 4 strikeforce went 2-2. Lawler fight was great, he was getting picked apart and I start saying to myself, dude swing or something. Then BAM!!! Diaz destroyes z's legs and that was it. Lashley fought wes sims, yawn another yawner for walker, pretty much like kat and luey said.

Oh yeah, the fights if ya still want to watch them are on pretty much any indepented mma site.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  11. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds like it was a good card after all. I thought that there was talk of Diaz going back to the UFC...guess not. Too bad. I'd like to see him go up against some of those guys.

12. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know the story, but Nick has a SERIOUS attitude against the UFC. He needs to be in there again, but I doubt he ever will be. Also, after his fight, he said that Nate had won his last fight, and that there is something going on that's not right. I don't know that I agree that Nate won. He fought a good fight, but came up short. Nick has a terrible attitude, but I love to watch him fight. I have seen him get screwed a couple of times, so I don't totally blame him, but he should suck it up.

13. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Take it for what it's worth, rumor I keep hearing is that they won't let Nick Diaz in the UFC because he can't pass a drug test. Keeps coming up positive for pot and won't quit. Before yall go jumping on me for it, it's just what I've HEARD. Don't know the real story but there yall go.

14. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I know he failed a piss test and was suspended. I think there's more going on than his pot smoking, but I don't know.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Herschel Walker isn't angry enough to succeed in those kinds of sports. He's too much of a nice guy.

16. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    Hershal looked good for his first fight as a pro,at the age 47.yeah,he was'nt a GSP or anything close,but you have to admire a 47 year old man with enough balls to get in the ring with someone 21 yrs younger than him.will he be a champ,ha(no),but his cardio looked great for his age.i give him props for for doing it,it was'nt exciting but he got it done.
    and my boy robbie i never doubted him for a bit.my was like,he's getting killed,bam,i was like,not no more.hehehe
    the women,i won't speak on them'don't need to,they speak for their self,they always bring it.
    And diaz,bad attitude and all,like him or hate him,if he gets much better,he's gonna be hard to beat.i don't like him as a person,but he's a fighter.i don't see nobody in strikeforce that can beat him,in his weight.

thats it,thats my .02.

17. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    walker fighting at 50 is a joke, it's all about money like kimbo. they knew his name would bring ratings and they put him against a extra nobody. he wasn't even a good small time fighter in the MCC. hopefully they'll use the money on getting some better fighters. I wish they would hurry and go bankrupt like the rest of them so everybody can fight everybody, WEC too. kudos to him for fighting so old but shame on strikeforce for allowing it, might as well bring butterbean, tank abbott, and the undertaker to strikeforce while they're at it

18. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm almost thinking it might have hurt them a little. I never saw the amount of money they gave Walker for his charity like he said it was going to, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

With the way Strikeforce hasn't made any announcements on their next fight on CBS, and all their fighter's not knowing when they will fight or who FOR SURE, it's sounding more and more like they are hurting. Time will tell. Fedor was supposed to fight again in April, BUT his contract stipulates he has to fight on CBS.....and Strikeforce has to pay I think it's 2 mill or something like that for him. Something rediculous like 1.2 mill to M-1 for consulting fees.

Until Strikeforce clears some things up and gets some fights signed..........it's not lookin good for them right now

19. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yeah something like that and that's the exact reason that dana wouldn't sign fedor. Only time will tell there's just a lot of fighters that would match up well against each other but will never happen as long as they're in strikeforce or wec