Herrington Lake

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Marshall, May 15, 2009.

1. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    My buddy and I are planing on hitting it up tonight as long as these dang storms dont go to popin up everywhere. It is way up (like every other body of water in KY). I know someone who pulled in a 29lb blue(biggest blue Ive seen out of Herrington) and a 25lb flat. I would take ethier one cause it would shatter my pb of 14lbs.lol We will be throwing a variety of bait at them, shad, bluegill, cut and live, crawfish, and nightcrwlers. You guys think I should fish shallow or deeper? Maybe both. Any ways Ill post a report good or bad tommarow.

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good luck ! Went to Cedar last Sat. night caught 3 one was 26in. others around 14 .

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Good luck Marshall go get you a new PB.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Be careful, lots of bad things happen in high water, good luck

Danny

5. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Not much to report guys. We arrived round 8 and quickly began to catch some bluegill. Shad was impossiable to get. We also had nightcrawlers, and crawfish. We fished till 2 and never even had a run.:crazy: We had placed out a few noodles with some bi gills on them. We checked them and only one had been messed with. It was a 1/4 mile or further from where we had placed it, and the 150lb test twine had been broken:confused2: It was crazy. Their had been no other boats the whole time we was there. Im not sure what could have done it. I dont think a fish could have broken it. oh well theres always next time!:cool2:

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Maybe a gar cut it off . anyhow thx for the report reps sent !

7. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I guess whatever it was, was big.Lake Herrington is one of the states best flathead lakes or that is the word i have been hearing. Someday im going to try and find out.A good friend of mine and his wife both have there own houseboats docked up there.He goes with the guys and she goes with the girls every so often pretty cool.I would like to trout, limb,or jug line this lake while i pole fished.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Don't forget about muskie either........

9. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    I dont think there is any muskie in herrington. I never new of any. Its possible though....

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I never thought about that; i guess it sorta surprises me because we have them in the KY river up here several river miles upstream from the Dix river.

I've had musky demolish limb lines before, that's why I mentioned it.

Do you know if the state stocks any fish in Herrington?

11. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    I dont know if they do catfish, but they do Bass and hybrids.

12. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Just got the new KY Game an Fish mag. Talks about six great underated catfish hotspots. Herrington is one of them. Say the are good numbers of flatheads. Talks about it not be catfished much cause people just dont know its fishery is as good as it is. Talks about it being a canyon reservoir with very steep sides thats "intimidating" to fishermen. (Not sure how they mean that though, I tend to shy away from the steep sides and fish the slopeing banks. maybe thats why im not havin much luck yet:confused2:) Just thought Id share this with ya guys.