Herrington Lake

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by 1187, Mar 18, 2009.

1. 1187

1187 New Member

State:
    KY
    Hi everybody I am new to this site and love it. Does anybody do any catfishing on Herrington Lake? I have caught several 10 to 15 pound flatheads bass fishing. I am going to try it for catfish in the next week or two.
    Hope to see you on the water.

2. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    I fish Herrington alot. Strictly Catfish. there are good numbers of catfish in it. Channels, Flatheads and some blues. My brother caught a 20lb blue. Ive caught numerous smaller blues. I mainly fish for flats though. I have seen pictures of a 76lb flat from here and have saw a 40lber also. They are there and in good numbers. Im glad to finally find someone else that fishes it on here. By the way my name is Marshall Douglas. I fish out of a 20ft fish and ski boat. theres a pic of it in my avtar. i fish the tailwaters to the dam but mainly from the falls to sims(Nelsons i think now). Keep in touch. Maybe we can share info and stuff.

By the way Welcome to the BOC, brother. There is lots of GREAT INFO here.

3. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have wondered about flatheads there but have never tried because its a good 2 hr drive for me.I'll be watching this post to see how u guys do.Maybe I'll take a weekend this year and try my luck.

4. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hear its a very deep lake.

5. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    It has depths over 200 ft. I fish the tail waters and and mid lake mostly. Depths range from near nothing where dix river feeds into it to about 180ft in this area.

6. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    How far is this lake from the Louisville area ?

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It's about 10 miles on the other side of Harrodsburg from Louisville in Mercer county (Garrard Co line).
    My older brother used to take me there with him some many years ago before I was old enough to drive; we'd catch some really big bluegills along the cliffs using crickets and also cast for bass.

I've heard that when KU flooded it, the timber was left standing and that there is now a false bottom that has formed (from silt & sediment over the years) accross the top of the timber; the real bottom is like 30-50 ft beneath this false bottom.

8. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    The lake runs through northern Boyle, eastern part of Mercer, and western part of Garrard. The lake is large. 2335 acres. KU dammed the dix river in 1925 to make this lake. It is said that they flooded everything that was in there. Homes, barns, trees, etc. so it makes sense what Larry said about the real bottom being 30-50ft below the "false bottom". At the time they dammed it, it was the largest rock filled dam in the world. It is the deepest lake in Kentucky. It is about 35 miles long, up to 1,200 ft. wide, and covers 2335 acres with 325 miles of shoreline. The deepest area is near the Dix Dam where water depth reaches 249 feet. The mean depth in the lake is 78 feet. Because the lake is so deep it has only frozen over twice - in 1936 and 1978. The estimated capacity of the lake is 175,000,000,000 gallons.

9. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Its about an hour, hour and half from L-Ville.

10. 1187

1187 New Member

State:
    KY
    I will keep in touch. I haven't fished it yet for catfish but I used to bass fish it all the time. I have a 14ft flat bottom jon boat that is 72 inches wide,so I will fish out of Brynts when I go. I work with a guy that has a picture of his dad and uncle from 1942 carring two flatheads on a 2x4 that weighed 84 lbs and 76 lbs. I quess I am going to fish with bluegills. Do you use circle hooks? What is the differnce between a kahell and a circle?
    My name is Mike.

11. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    The diffrence between a kahle and a circle is that with a circle you tight line(with a clicker) and let the fish hook it self. With the kahles you set the hook yourself. Personally I miss alot of fish with the circles. ALOT of people swear by them though. I prefer a staight hook 6/0 to 10/0. I try to match my hook to the size of bait I am using. I fish with bluegill and shad. Cut, whole, gut pockets, heads, as well as live. Heads tend to work best for me. I fish Bryants alot also. Its one of the best ramps on the lake. I am including some links about circle hooks from the member library. Also the link to the Member Library table of contents. Lots of great info here. Hope this helps ya out. Let me know if i can help you out with anything else.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20646
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38780
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94333
    Member Library Table Of Contents
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

12. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Last spring i done real good with circles because the flats seemed more aggressive.When they didnt run with the bait and laid down:crazy: i missed more fish cause u cant set the hook.Circles are great but fish have to hook themselves.

13. 1187

1187 New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks for all the information Marshall. If you don't mind I will holler at you this fall and we will go try to catch some if you want to. In the spring I don't have much time or I wuld see if you wanted to go in the next week or two. I work in a factory and mow yards so my time in the spring is tight.

14. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Its no problem at all. Just trying to spread some knowledge that I have learned from all the BOC brothers. Maybe we can get togather this fall and get after em'.

15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey marshal hadn't seen you on in a while . Are you from central ky ?

16. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Yea Im from central KY, Boyle County to be exact.

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Maybe we could hit Cedar sometime . I live in Richmond .

18. wowsafari

wowsafari New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Any of you central KY guys ever need a fishing partner, give me a yell. I live in Lincoln county and work in Boyle. I don't have a boat but would be glad to split the bill. Send me a pm. Good fishing!

19. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Where at in Lincoln Co. ? Got a slew of friends that live in Stanford . You ever fish Cedar ? Plenty of good farm ponds down there bet you got a good pond to hit !:wink:

20. 1187

1187 New Member

State:
    KY
    I fished Cedar last Tuesday and caught 3 little channel cats. My couisin has caught some 7 and 8 pounders out of it though.