Herring

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by flannelman, Feb 24, 2006.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

does anybody here use herring as bait? if so , whats the best way to go about catching them. i picked up some herring rigs today at the store. hopefully they will work. their the same as sabiki rigs.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes I use them and they are excellent bait, freshwater, and saltwater. I just use sabiki rigs to catch them and they work awesome.

Good luck.:)

3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Katmaster Jr., when u use the sabiki rigs, do u use any bait on the hooks?

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, when fishing for herring I dont use bait on them. It is better to just use the sabiki by itself when fishing for herring. But when fishing for other types small fish that you could use for bait such as, white perch, bream, crappie, I like to use little pieces of bait on the hooks. Are you talking about catching bait in saltwater or fresh?

Zakk:)

5. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i was thinkin mainly catchin bait in saltwater. when it comes to freshwater, you'll rarely find me using anything but lures. is it possible to catch american or threadfin shad on these rigs too?

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh ok, yes threadfin, and american shad, will definitely bite a sabiki. I have caught hundreds of threadfins in one day on them. Dont put any bait on it if you are targeting stuff like Shad, and Herring. Just jig it up and down. I usually use a 2-3 ounce weight on the bottom of it. When you feel them pecking it just do a nice smooth upward hook set, but not too hard. Remember they have real soft mouths so you wouldnt want to rip the hook out of thier mouth...with that being said, remember to be easy on them while reeling in also. When I first started catching them I pulled back to hard while reeling them in and lost like half of them.

Here's another little trick, if you get one on there let him run and wiggle around a little and usually if you are in a school of them some more will jump on there and you will usually catch up to 5-6 at a time.

The american shad are a little different. Okay, it depends on exactly where you are fishing for them. If you are just on a pier jigging up and down then just use the sabiki rig with a weight on it just as you do for the threadfins and herring. But there is another technique that seems to get more american shad, and that is to tie a little silver or golden spoon on the bottom end of the sabiki where the weight usually goes. Then just throw out the sabiki and reel it in at a moderate speed. Sometimes you will catch American Shad and Herring, and threadfin at the same time doing it. Alot of times you will mostly catch american shad doing that though. If your mostly after herring and threadfins then just do the regular old jig straight up and down with the weight on the bottom of the sabiki.

Dont forget that sabiki's can be used for many different fish in freshwater and saltwater. It does not have to be baitfish, I have caught some real nice fish on sabiki's with little pieces of bait on them esspecialy. Are you familiar with "Sheepshead"? an awesome satlwater fish, they will really bite a sabiki with small pieces of squid or shrimp on it down by the pilings of a pier or bridge.

Good luck fishing, hope this helps. Zakk:)

7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

man, thanks for all that info. im prob gonna go out in a few days and try that out. and yes, i am familler with sheepshead yet i dont think we have them around my area.

good luck fishin to ya---tight lines-steve

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Anytime man, what area of saltwater are talkin' about fishing?

Good luck, Zakk:)

9. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i fish both north and south shore of Long Island. here we got blues, stripers, spanish mackeral, fluke, flounder, and blackfish

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Cool, good fishin' to ya!

11. flannelman

flannelman New Member

do u think that snapper could also be caught on a sabiki rig?

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm going to say that it's a good chance you could catch them on the sabiki but I dont think the sabiki is the best way to catch them. I have always just caught them on something like a regular bottom rig, with just shrimp on the hook.