Herring

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by CATDADDY78, May 28, 2007.

1. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey guys just wondering if the herring were running yet or if the dam gates have closed up some. im in georgia visiting my brother whose in the army and was wondering what the herring were doing or if they were even around yet. hopefully we will catch some ocean herring down here. please let me know how it is.

2. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I caught some golden eyes yesterday. Is that what you were talking about? Are there herring from the gulf that make it this far (St Louis) north? What do they look like?

CP

3. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I believe he is talking about skipjack. Read other states forum, sounds like they are running just about everywhere right now.

4. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Skipjack are running in Jefferson City, caught a bunch yesterday on the Moreau River.

5. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    anyone know if there runnin near the alton dam? finnally got the cast net figured out and got my first few fish with it, and wanna try to get some skipjack.

6. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Your pissing in the wind if you are gonna try and catch skipjack in a cast net. You will have much better results with small crappie jigs on a ultralight.

7. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    ya good point, people tell me these things all the time but my attention span is somewhat limited :confused2:

8. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have only seen two skipjack caught in castnets.

However if you find a spot where they are running some shad they do bite a crappie jig pretty well.

I use 3 1/6th ounce jigs with 2 inch white curly tails.

You may have to play around with the colors a bit but white seems to work well.

They can be a little frustrating since they will strike at your jig and only get the tail or miss it completly a lot of the time.

Once you get them on crank really fast to keep the line tight. They do fight really well and once you get it figured out they are really fun to catch.

9. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Ya'll keep saying "running". Do these critters live in the river year round, or are they native to the ocean and run this far north?

CP

10. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think what everyone means by running is schooling up and feeding heavily around dams and such.

11. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know what the hell I mean by "running", I picked that up from the other guys!:lol:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    True out in the current. You can catch them when they are feeding shallow though. I caught a couple hundred 8 inch skips at Saverton Dam last August with my bait net.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Exactly!!!!! They are piling up on the dams down south.We just need em up here.

14. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    There were some piling up in front of the locks at St. John's bayou last week but I went down there yesterday and the water has dropped about 6 feet in 6 days and the skipjack have left and the fish are not biting.