Herring for bait

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by aquaman9, Jan 29, 2010.

1. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Does anyone know where during the season I can purchase about 25lbs of Herring. I would like to try to freeze some for when the shad are not working or available.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    How far are you from Richmond? Come catch all the shad and herring you want 1st week of April. Catch them right off the bank at the Ancarrow boat ramp wall. Use a sabiki or small spoons or shad darts.

3. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Should I bring a boat. Have a 18 CC or a small jon boat? A few friends that love to fly fish, will shad darts work for then too?

4. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

Bluebruiser@Jmestwn New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Like paraguay guy said ,Ancarrows is an awesome spot.Walkers dam is an awesome spot as well..Basically the fall lines are real concentrated spots for herring and shad.Plain gold aberdeen hooks work as well as sabikis and shad darts.end of march first few weeks of april before they disberse through out the tributaries.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would bring the boat. Catch all the shad and herring you want during the day and hang around until dusk and catch big cats blues and stripers on cut shad and a shot at whopper 25 lbs. plus Striper. Put little rods out and catch all the small eater cats 2-8 lbs you care to clean. Until you do it,, you can't fathom the numbers of eater cats that follow all those spawning shad and herring up to Richmond. Some nights I have filled a 100 qt cooler of eater cats. launch at Ancarrow ramp and head upstream to the Interstate 95 bridge. Look for my Maroon and Silver Lund Alaskan. I will be there 4 or 5 late afternoons every week until dark for a month or so.

6. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    How is the water in that area? Should I consider going out with someone that knows the area for my first time before putting my boat on the rocks and comming home without fish? Charts look pretty shallow up there.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bring the boat. There's plenty of water from the ramp up to the I 95 Bridge. Stay mid river until you get to the rock Island upstream from the ramp. Them stay 20 yards off the South bank all the way up to the bridge. Everything around the bridge is 3-8 feet deep. Its not like you will be lonely. There will be 100 boats up there. When you get done fishing and head back, again come back along the south shore. There's a couple of shallow spots along the North Bank up near the bridge and midriver just upstream from the Island.

8. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Can we cast net for them? I believe that there are some special regs on the gill nets.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You bet you can. There is also a water treatment plant by the ramp. Their treatment outlet dumps in the river downstream from the ramp 200 yards or less. That water is usually slightly warmer than the river and the Gizzard shad stack up there by the kazillions. I watch the guides throw a net a couple of times and get 30-60 shad in one throw.

10. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    you can literally catch four fish at a time on a sabiki rig. just find the channel they are using and jig right next to your boat. last year my wife hooked a triple with two herring on top and about a 2.5 lb shad on the bottom. that was a crazy fight.

11. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    not that i would recommend it, my dad and his brother literally filled a jon boat with herring when they were young.

i froze some herring last spring and then used them throughout the year but tried to use them in december and they had a real bad smell to them not very fresh. so i would say they have an expiration date for bait use.

12. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was told to take small 1/16 oz jigs like we use for crappie. Red and white maybe and put them about a foot and a half apart and that would work as well. What do you think?

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You have made a homemade Sabiki. Tie a 2 oz weight to the bottom and you're in action.