Heritage Rough Ryder Single Action Revolver .22/.22 Mag

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Quack_Addict88, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Quack_Addict88

Quack_Addict88 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anyone ever heard of or had these pistols? im thinkin bout gettin a cheap .22 pistol to run my trap line w to discharge animals in my leg holds....jw if anyone knows much about them or wether or not they are worth my time...i think i can get one for less than $200

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I bought one of them last spring. Gave $150 for it. For what you described it will be just what ya need. I've never tried the Mag.cylinder in mine yet but for squirrels out to 50yds. the 22 LR is the trick. mine has a 6.5" barrel. I feel it was a good purchase.

3. Quack_Addict88

State:
    Kansas
    ok, i really appreciate that...i was plannin on gettin the 6.5" barrel, i think it even comes w a holster...i think its around like $189 or somethin

4. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Combination guns are a bit of a give and take. The 22 LR and 22 magnum are totally different types of rounds. A 22 magnum has a bullet diameter of .223 on a jacked bullet. The 22 rimfire bullet is asked to expand to fit the rifling of a combo gun. Some softer ammo will do this with great results and on contrast the harder lead bullets will not and accuracy will suffer. The std diameter of the 22LR bullet is between .219-.220 and there barrels diameters are smaller. Some companies are advertising 22lr ammo at .223-224 but this is typically the outside edge of there "belts" around the bullet and NOT the diameter of the bullet itself. In a 22 magnum compatible barrel this puts very little bullet into the rifling. A softer bullet will expand to fit.
    On one of the combo revolvers I have the cheap 500 to a box ammo shoots incredibly well and the CCI stingers that do so well out of my 10-22 are a 5 inch group at 50 yds. After testing different ammo we found the softer ammo was the key to a better group and changing velocity had little affect on the group as long as the bullets were the same softness.
    In the big picture for what you want, softer almost always equaled cheaper and the less you spend to make money the better off you are!
    Have fun with it. If your gun shoots badly find some chamber/barrel honing rounds and run them through it. They clean up the barrel and the guns will shoot better, all you have to do is shoot them in order and you are done. Good Luck!

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just saw them for $130 at a shop here in the Dayton, OH area. I think they would do the trick for what your needing.

6. Quack_Addict88

State:
    Kansas
    ok, the one here is $189, then prolly a lil over 200 after tax.. so, i think im going to wait until the gun show on the 10-11th and see what they have there

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well made. reliable revolvers, from what i have seen. i used my buddy's (with the .22 lr cylinder) to pot some cottontails last winter. his has the (i think) 6" bbl. haven't shot it with the mag cylinder, but seemed good enough for the money like that. .22 lr will put the light out on anything in this country point blank, so you should be fine.

9. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    Before the economy went south i sold for a wholesale dis. we had few problems with heritage. the company is privately owned and if you call customer service you will talk to Jay the owner and sr salesperson. If a dealer has a gun you want in inventory you had better get the gun now!!!!!!!!!!!! with the politics we have at the present gun inventories will be running low. Oh and we had more problems with ruger and taurus, and they have poor customer service. I carry a heritage.:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well from a customer's standpoint, i have dealt with ruger several times and they have done me right every time.

11. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Ditto, I wanted something on a pistol that they did not offer anymore and they sent it to me. No charge. They just ask that I send the original part to them in there supplied package which was NO PROBLEM as I did not want it anyway.