Heritage redfish 10/12

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Nomdic1, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Anyone have experience with these kayaks? My buddy from work is looking at getting a couple of kayaks for him and his wife to fart around in and fish. He likes the look and set-up of these, but is looking for some real world reports from fisherman. He's about 6'2" 200lbs., and his wife may be 120lbs. soaking wet.

Thanks

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    The redfish 12 is a good boat for fishing, the 10 in my opinion is too small. There are lots of good web sites with fishing reports, how to set up a kayak, test reports, all you could ever want to know about kayaks. Some other boats to look at are "Ocean Kayak" prowlers,(I have the prowler big game) ,"Liquid Logic" manta rays, "Wilderness Systems" has several good yaks. there are several others. Above all test drive a few before buying if at all possible.
    Do a web search for "Kayak fishing" you'll find all you need to know.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You bet! I have a Heritage Redfish 12 'Angler and absolutely love it. It is a well made craft, and well outfitted. Check out the picture gallery for photos.

For some great information comparing different models, check out the following page:

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/kayak_fishing_comparison_chart.html

You'll notice that the numbers are consistently good for the Redfish 12'.

The man should not get anything less than the 12'. The woman may actually prefer the 10'; I have read that smaller women prefer the smaller kayaks. The 12', however, would be best for both, I would think. The rule always is, buy the longest kayak that you can afford, that you are willing to haul, and that you are able to portage. This is certainly true for touring yaks, but fishing yaks are wider and tend to be heavier (but more stable) at shorter lengths.

They need to really watch the prices, though. I have seen the price on these kayaks increase significantly in the past few months. I picked up a new one for right around $700, and got an extra $50 off because I went to a boat demo. The same store has raised the price to over $800 and still calls it a "clearance"!

4. TarheelCatMan

TarheelCatMan New Member

State:
    Lincolnton, North Carolina
    I fish from a Redfish 12 and love it. The kayak is real stable in rough water and waves. It also has plenty of storage to carry your gear for fishing or for a day of paddling around with the wife.

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    As I said in previous post I us an OK Prowler big game which is 13 feet long and 34 inches wide. I am 6'2" and about 260. Love the stability of the "barge" and it feels solid when power boats slap me with a big wake. Also lots of room for rod holders and fishing gear. My wife fishes from a Liquid Logic Manta Ray 14 footer. She loves it because its easy to paddle (very fast) and great for fishing. We fish salt water flats mostly but do get into tidal creeks and rivers a lot. Do your research on the Web and talk to local yakers, you'll find the right one.