Here's one for the table..lol

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigfish08, Mar 23, 2008.

1. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'm curious to hear everyones opinion on this one, i've never seen this one come up before on here, everyone feel free to share their opinion, what lake or river is the best producer of numbers and size of flatheads in the country? In my opinion, and mine doesn't count for much because I've only flathead fished in two states, i would say the ohio river, countless numbers a monsters come out of there every year, plus good numbers of small to average sized ones too.. what's everyone think?

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with you the Ohio is a good river, I like New River in Virginia also

3. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have never fished the Ohio, but have seen pictures of great fish from there. I have only fished The Des Moines,Mississippi, Osage,skunk ,ceder,Iowa and they have all given up some good fish.

4. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I would probly say the Ohio.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I would choose a lake in the MWCD area of Ohio, but I don't know, there are some fine lakes in Ok, TX,AR, TN, MO, KS, Plus the OH, Miss, Mo etc... river systems.

Is there a true answer?

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I know they are there, but I have never caught a flathead out of the Ohio river. I guess its just that I don't really use flathead techniques when fishing there. I have had good success in the Scioto river however.

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It doesn't make any difference to me. I can get skunked in a hatchery!

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I would say that everyone is going to say something about there home waters. I can say the Ohio River would be the best for me but its my home water.

9. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kansas does have the world record flathead at 123 pounds :cool2::eek:oooh::smile2:

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I really can't venture much of an opinion, since I have only fished my few home rivers here in SC, plus one trip to the Altamaha in Georgia. And these rivers are awful - no reason anyone else would want to fish them. Just leave them to me, I'll suffer with them ;-)

I'm curious, though, what do you consider "monsters" when you say some monsters are taken from the Ohio each year? How big is a "monster?"

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    People come pretty far to fish Blythe and the Palo Verde area for flathead. I think it may be because there aren't alot of them in other ca areas but I know it's pretty good here. I also like most others' havn't really fished anywhere else. Oh yeah Blythe holds the state record atm at 72 pds if i'm not mistaken. I sure as hell didn't catch it though.

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well im gonna say the only river i ever fish and that would be the arkansas river.