Heres a tip for you

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by southpaw, Aug 13, 2006.

1. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    if you are thinking about buying a new bow just remmeber one thing.dont look at the ibo ratings alone.sure they may shoot fast but are they quiet?it doesnt matter if that arrow is fast if that deer heres that bow go off then he will jump the string.i know you cant stop all the noise but i shoot a hoyt x-tec with a muzzy drop away rest.my bow is qiute and so far,knock on wood,have not had a deer jump the string on me yet. plus make sure that the riser fits your hand good.if it feels god and you can match it to your draw length then set it up.shop around and take your time plus also look at your wallet alot of these new bows will break you.good luck and may your arrows fly straight.

2. hoggmaster

hoggmaster New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just bought a matthews switchback xt.
    that bow is simply amazing
    it did break my wallet..all together i have over 900$ in it

3. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just got my Switchback on wendsday and have been shooting it like crazy. It is by far the most amazing bow I have ever shot. the only problem that i didnt think about is that i am only 15 and have a 29 inch draw and the bow only goes to 29.5 inches so i should have probably gone for the switchback LD (long draw). ya and im also out of money lol

4. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    you got off easy my neighbor has 1400$ in his

5. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I went bow shopping this passed weekend.

I shot the mathew's switchback & switchback XT, I forget the model of the Bowtech and a Ross 331.

There is a guy I know that has always bought the newest bow Mathews came out with. He stacks the previous model in his closet; then He saw the Ross.

He is now shooting a Ross. So, I thought I should go check out the Ross for myself.

Mathews has the "name" and Bowtech is not far behind. But after shooting all three, I would have bought the Ross and saved a lot of cash.
    However, I didn't have the money so I will probably still shot my Browning or maybe my recurve.

On a seperate note, there was a guy in the shop with his 14-15 year old son getting a bow set up he had bought for him second hand. The father brought it in because he didn't know anything about archery.

The draw length was about 1 1/4" too long and the store guy was telling him to just leave it and the boy would grow into it. When the store guy went off to get a whisker biscuit, I took the opportunity to show the father the importance of the correct draw length using the bow I was testing. When I quit shooting and left, they were on their second adjustment of draw length.

If the bow is not comfortable, you will not shoot your best.

Robert

6. arky

arky Well-Known Member

State:
    kansas
    your right on the money there Robert. I use to work with guys who would go buy a bow at a auction or pawn shop and talk about what a deal they got but the draw length would be way to short or to long . The phrase i always used with them "buying a bow that doesn't fit is no different than buying a pair of shoes that don't fit ,ITS USELESS! So make sure if you are buying you little one a boy try and find one that has an adjustable draw length and have it set on as short as possible . Make sure it fits your child . Then as he or she grows you can have it let out and at least get two or three years out of your purchase. They actually have some now that come with different size modules that fit on the cam so you can let it out several years as your child grows. the one i bought my son is a HOyt banchee , i think is the name and he has killed a doe and missed a good buck last year . That was the first year he was able to pull enough poundage to be legal ,but he's been shooting it 3 yrs . he likes to practice when Dad is shooting .

7. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I'm currently on the Ross bandwagon with all the good things I hear about this 2yr old company! I am going to shoot at CR334 next week and will most likely order it after I shoot it. Quiet, excellent strings/cables, quiet and the cable won't wear like a Mathews or other one cam bows!

Mike

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'll probably get slammed but I bought a Horton Crossbow. I have bow hunted 40 years and shot plenty of deer starting out with a Bear recurve which I still own. Too many years and miles on my tired old carcass so I tried the crossbow. Its different but I like them. I put a pile of silencers all over it to minimize the horrible twang. It makes a big difference. I put a Horton 4X scope on it. Shoots 3 inch groups at 25 yards and less than two inch groups at 13 yards. I'm ready to try it out on deer Sept 15th when our urban archery season kicks in. Good luck to everyone.:big_smile:

9. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I don't shoot a crossbow and I won't slam you. My thought is hunt with whatever you have the confidence in and you enjoy. You may find that after building up confidence with the crossbow, you might scale down to a nice compound. Enjoy!

Mike