here's a question-

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Jan 17, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when i finally get it together to hunt new mexico, i am going to try and get a permit for an oryx. they are cool looking animals that would be a wicked skull mount, and they are big from what i see on tv. here's the question- is an oryx, like the ones down at white sands, the same as the gemsbok i see them shooting in africa on the hunting shows? or is a gemsbok just a type of oryx?

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jordan,Yup,one and the same,Thats where the NMG&F got em from way back in the 60s

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm sure you are refering to the Scrimitar Horned Oryx. They inhabited North Africa and there is still unconfirmed sightings in Niger and Chad. They were introduced into Texas and other parts were the population of them is doing well. They are considered a species of African antelope just like the Gemsbok, Blesbok and many other of the African species. A truly beautiful animal. Hope you have a great hunt and bag a really nice trophy!! Yes! They are part of the Oryx genus just like the Gemsbok..

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have seen the scimitar horned oryx in central texas. i wouldn't them, for one i couldn't afford it and for two i hunt, i don't shoot high fenced animals. they are really cool looking though. down in new mexico they they have the gemsbok. i just never heard that. this fall or next fall if i can do it i will. these things look sooo cool!