Here's a new one

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Cheez, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I was in the Bass Pro Shop in Atlanta the other day and a salesman in the fishing dept was telling me of a new rod that should be great for cats. It is called Offshore Angler Extreme. It is made of slit carbon wrapped in graphie fiber. Very light and very sensitive and apparrently very strong. He took the rod from the shelf and bent it like the Ugly Stik commercial. Then he had me hold the rod like I was fighting a big cat and he held the tip down close to the floor. He told me to pull up hard so I obliged him. I figured why not I have nothing to lose if I break it and he is the salesman so I layed into it real hard and jerked up real hard. This rod is bad to the bone and light as a a feather. I am a gear guy and somewhat of a sucker but this rod impressed me so I bought it. Of course it needed a new reel so after researching for a while I bought a Shimano Tekota 600 and hung on it. I have been working so haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I think it will work well for river drifting.
    Anyone used one of these yet?
    BTW the rod is rated for up to 80 pound line and 7 oz lures with Alconite guides.

Cheez

2. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    How much is the rod going for. Im looking for a new outfit myself.

3. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    $99.99 plus tax. A little spendy for a cat rod but still less than a custom and I have not seen a custom with this material and action so I guess it's a decent price.

Cheez

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Bass pro list over a Dozen of these rods in that price range that you could have put that reel on.You got me in suspence.Which one did the salesman put through the test and which particular one did you buy?Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Peewee I got the OE66MT. They had 2 of this model on the rack. I got the one we didn't "test":big_smile:
    Lord willing I will test the rig on some blues about Saturday.

Cheez

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John that sounds good. Keep us updated on its performance.:big_smile:

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    John, that sounds like a great rod you got. I think I know where you are going Saturday, are you going to "nuke" them catfish?LOL

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I'll either nuke 'em or dam 'em. Depends on my mood when I wake up I guess.

Cheez

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Took out the new rig today for a test run on some blues. The reel was smoother than any I have including the 7000iC3. Didn't catch any fish on the new rig as I only had big baits on it looking for the big bite. However while drifting a big skipjack head I got hung up and when I tried jerking the rig loose which I believe was hungup by the sinker tied on with 12# line the rod exploded into 3 clean pieces. So now it is back to BPS for either a replacement or my money back. I'm really disappointed because I had high hopes for this great feeling rod. I might have been a little hard on it but so is a 60 pound blue cat.:sad2:

Cheez

10. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    Cheez,sorry to hear that about your new rod.I hope they replace it for you.Glad you liked the reel.Smoother than a 7000 is pretty smooth. Good Luck!!!

11. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Well I went to BPS Wednesday and brought back the Offshore Extreme rod and they refunded my money no questions asked. I just bought another Tiger rod. I hate the weight of these rods but they are tough as nails and will flat haul in a big cat. I will continue to search for a tough lightweight rod for drifting.

Cheez

12. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    If you can find one try an Abu Garcia Workhorse MH rod.These rods are light as feathers,but very tough.I found 2 at Walmart about 3 years ago,and I wish I would have bought 5. Very good rods for the money.:0a12::0a22:

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well I guess better it break on a hang up than it break while you trying to horse that trophy fish. :wink:

14. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    That is why I chose the refund instead of the replacement rod. I had visions of the rod exploding like it did with a 70 pounder and the fish getting away before I got it's picture.

Cheez

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Carbon and Graphite are very light materials there is no doubt but, one scratch, one nick and you have an instant weak point. E-Glass is the only way to fly!!! E-glass will withstand a beating and still pull like a mule when you need it.

16. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    JW's head is made of e-glass, thats why he's still alive after bein dropped and punched on the head so many times. :big_smile:

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yep, and your is either made of graphite or carbon, that is why you are, the way you are now, LMAO!!!

18. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    [QUOTE=That is why I chose the refund instead of the replacement rod. I had visions of the rod exploding like it did with a 70 pounder and the fish getting away before I got it's picture.

I probably would of just returned it myself. I like composite rods myself best of both worlds.