Here's a Good Game

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Oct 26, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Monday I found a new place in the Jefferson National Forest to hunt. It's a beautiful spot with a stream running down from the mountains with Mountain Laurel thickets on one side and hard woods on the other. There is plenty of deer sign, bear sign, turkey sign, AND PEOPLE SIGN. On my way out after some scouting I picked up 2 milk jugs, 6 beer cans, 4 or 5 soda bottles, and a couple candy wrappers, all that would fit in the little trash bag I always carry with me in my fanny pack. I'd bet that with a little effort I could fill the back of my pickup truck with other peoples trash by the end of the season. Here's the game: You're hopeing to drag a 150-200 pound deer out anyway, aren't you? Carry a small trash bag with you and if you don't get a deer, see if you can fill the bag up on your way out. If you can't fill it up, you're very lucky. If you can you will be doing yourself and everyone else a favor...including the wildlife. Take your kids hunting with you and teach them the game, also. You'll be amazed at how much fun they will have and how much more enjoyable your future hunts will be.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I already play that game, lol. Been playing since my dad introduced me to it. His words were clean it up are else pointing to his belt and then the river bank

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    My son and I swim in the James River at the Pony Pasture Rapids park 2 or 3 times a week in the summer. Its a popular place that on any given day there will be 50 plus people enjoying playing on the rocks and swimming in the gentle rapids. Last two years we always take a kitchen trash bag with us and always fill her up as we leave with soda cans, chip bags, dirty diapers, and other garbage. I don't understand folks that litter. The park has trash cans all along the bank but some people are so lazy. They leave their litter on the rocks or hidden in the crevaces. No Glass signs are everywhere and every trip I haul away many glass beer bottles. On a plus side, I notice that their are lots of folks doing the same thing my son and I are doing so all in all the park stays nice. 300 yards upstream of the rapids are two large pools below a low stone dam, "Z Dam". Those two pools are dirt lousey with Flathead cats. Lost count of how many I have caught in those pools. Everybody knows about it and it gets fished more than any spot I know. I have never seen anyone keep one so its always good.

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I play also! I can't believe that some people leave thier trash everywhere! I believe that leaving anywhere I camp,fish hike cleaner that when I found it! We have such a gorgeous land here and I hate to see litter strewn about. I turned a few people in this summer by finding thier names and addresses on envelopes and magazines amongst thier trash! The one place I fish is on private land owned by a farmer and his family dumps trash along the edges of thier fields along the riverbak and it makes me sooo mad. I wonder if I should turn them in too? I just don't want to lose my place to fish cause it's right next to my house! What would you do in this situation? I'v been sstruggeling with this for two years now and undecided.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Congrats on the new dad thing. You thought you were in love before....get ready for a lightning bolt. On the trash thing, I'd get every buddy that's fish there with me and have a clean up. I'd do it late in
    the day, turn it in to an all out party, cook out and all. Something your neightbors couldn't miss for the bonfire and laughter. Have everyone wear their hunter orange...I mean be a stand out crowd. Lead by example. And if you aren't able to lead...at the very least you will have been a good example.
    :eek:oooh:

6. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I have played this game for many years and would like to take the time to thank all of you! I know we are not from the same state but I may visit your state someday and trash really gets me fumed when I am enjoying the wilderness. Thanks to all of you! Hopefully this wiil spread and become the habit of many.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    This is a great game. I always leave my trash in my boat while fishing but sometimes a piece or two would blow out. I tried trash bags but if i forgot to weigh them down before taking off they would fly out too. My new boat has some extra storage which works out perfectly because now i can keep my trash bag where it won't blow away.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I guess sometimes people leaving things in the woods is a good thing! I went back to the same place to do some more scouting yesterday. As usual, I desided to pick up trash on the way out. I had seen a place where someone had camped at least a year ago and had left a couple trash bags and some cans laying around. As I picked up one of the black trash bags, it fell apart. Inside it was a nice Coleman propane camp stove in great condition. I guess the old saying is true: "One mans trash is another mans treasure!"