Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does anyone know how to time a 200HP mercury black max? The age of the motor is 1982 or 1983. I’m still having problems with the boat not wanting to plane out. When I give it throttle it will go but as soon as I give it more throttle it dies. I’m not sure if the timing is out or what is going on. It just does not want to run under load. Please Help!

· Registered
1,227 Posts
The best way I know short of a $10,000 computer test jig is the under $10 spark gap tester. A good coil should be able to jump a 5/8" spark gap with a good bright/hot spark. Ignition coils are very low tech 100+ year old technology and the Old School spark gap tester and a little experience will tell you as much or more than the $10,000 computerized jig.

Don't get the light bulb type, they are junk, the tester should have an adjustable gap like this one.

Now 5/8" is just a rule of thumb, what I like to do when I get a new used motor is increase the gap until it won't jump it and I write down the max gap it would jump in my repair manual. Then I have a baseline to work from if I suspect a bad coil, if the gap decreases from the baseline then I KNOW without a doubt I have a bad or weak coil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.