Here we go again !!

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by cantstopgrandma, Apr 7, 2009.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    1998 Chevy S10 4.3L V6 2wd:

Everytime i walk by my truck all i smell is antifreeze, and the lifters are tapping. I'm guessing the intake gaskets are bad again, even though they were just replaced last spring.

My question, has anybody seen any reason not to use the yellow/gold universal coolant? I want to get rid of the "Death-cool", and haven't really heard of any issues using the universal, but just wanted to check first.

Really tired of fooling with GM cooling systems. My s10 last spring, wifes '03 malibu w/ 60k miles @ Christmas, and now probably the s10 again:beat_brick:

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Does your heater work the heater core leaking will give that smell!

3. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    your best bet is to do like i do, totally flush out and replace with green, then just flush every 2 years and you are good to go, i still run dex cool in my one car, i just flush it every year and no problems(only reason i did that was because i had 2 free cases of dex), just dont go over 2 years and usually ok, it should not have eaten up intake gaskets in a year, thats almost unheard of, but not impossible i spose lol, check to make sure coolant is in the oilit could well have a different problem

4. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I beleive it was Motor or another publication that would send weekly or monthly news magazines to shops...
    I remember reading an article on Dexcool..
    Waranty problems with the antifreeze,,,Less than a year after it was being used .
    The problems with dexcool , If at any time you get air in the system it will create rust and erosion, Therefore never get low, water pump bearings and head gaskets were problems ...

Ford does not use the stuff...The Gm factory installs a stop leak when new..And should be used in all systems running Dexcool...

I have been using the multi 50-50 that is compatible with all coolants for many years now and have Zero problems

5. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    not antifreze causing it. need to use felpro gaskets on the intake instead of the plastic gm gaskets. do them all the time at the shop. it all late model gm intake gaskets. the new felpro, just came out this year, are metal coated with rubber.

6. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    And absolutely no tap water

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I dont really think its the heater core, because i would smell that inside the cab...... its under the dash.

I thought i was using the Fel-Pro "Problem Solver" gasket set....but if they just came out this year, maybe its another update.

There is no visible water/coolant in the oil, but there wasn't when it was leaking internally last year.

DexCool is going buy-buys either way, i would just feel better about the universal coolant in case somehow there is some residual left after flushing....dont want it to gel with the green. Thanks for the replies so far, and keep the ideas coming.

8. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    check the water outlet that snaps in the intake also they are know to leak also when the plastic clip gets old and cracks.

9. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I have a s-10 and I had that same problem it turned out to be the water pump, I couldn't see any leaks but my mechanic said it was bad. After he replaced it the smell was gone. Just my two cents worth. Good Luck, Tim

10. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Here's my couple of pennies... When you smell antifreeze is your engine running? Could it be a head gasket? Do you have antifreeze in your oil? Oil in your antifreeze? The best way I know to stop working on your cooling system is to get a Jeep. There are Jeep trucks too. They are usually good for 300,000 miles if you change you oil regularly. The 4.0L and 4.2L engines are also super easy to work on, it's almost just like a tractor.
    Hope you get it all fixed. :wink:

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Do a pressure check on the system. A lot of times a small leak will evaporate and you can't see it but still smell it. Bought a pressure testing kit several years ago and it has found a lot of leaks in several cars. Well worth the money and something you can loan to your buds.