Here Today,, Gone Tomorrow

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jun 23, 2006.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    i Dont Know If The Spawn Has Started Or What But The Fish Sure Don't Seem To Be Biting. I Go Out A Few Nights Ago And Catch 20 Plus Inch Cats Every Fifteen Minutes. I Go Out Again The Following Night, Fishing The Same Two Holes, And Don't Catch Anything Much Over Fourteen Inches. Maybe It's Because I Spend More Time Baiting Hooks, Removing Fish, And Rigging Poles For The Adults I Take Fishing Than Getting My Line Wet. I Know I Seem To Have Better Luck When I Go By Myself Though. Anyone Else Hit A Slow Spell In Thier Cat Fishing? Good Luck Everyone!!

2. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    June is a tuff month for channel cat fishing. It took me 10 years of trial and error to be able to stay on active fish throughout June. Most of the catfishing season, March-October, I can be fairly confident that I'm going to be able put channel cats in the boat during daylight hours, with the best catches coming during the 1st and last hours of daylight. June is the only time I get a little worried about actually finding active cats. The spawn is going on right now on the lower Grand. Of the dozen or so channel cats I caught last weekend a couple were very skinny spawned out males. After the eggs are laid by the females the males stay behind to guard the nest. If you can find a nesting area the action can be hot as a male will attack anything that comes near the nest. Just be sure to release these guys so they can do their job. Long story short, fish at night for Flatheads during June, come on July!!!

Dan

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Thats some darn good information to know Dan! I'm still going to go give it a try tomorrow morning from about 5:00am til 10:00am. I'll let you know how I do.
    By the way Dan, are you going to meet us on the river the evening of the 7th of July. I hope so! I can't wait to meet you and share some real B S. LOL
    Sparky

4. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Don't bite in June, huh? That's no good!!! We only get three months of warm weather to fish at night, and one of them is restricted feeding? ROTFLOL!!! No wonder I'm only finding skunks every time I go out this month. I'm still going tonight though. Maybe I can catch me a monster carp, or a sheepshead...Thanks for the info Dan...

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hey vic you going the 7th?

6. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

It's not looking good right now Don. I think I have a non-fishing commitment that weekend. It's good to see some more boat space open up. If not, I definitely want to do the deed in August. By the way, I answered your question in another thread about nitro worms. We do have them here...

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Thanks vic for looking out for me

8. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

No problem Don. They are a little more expensive than the regular nightcrawlers (I purchased some last night for $3.91 for 12....the regular ones were $2.49). One thing you do learn about them is the bait stealers love them too!!! Now if they could ward off the stealers they'd be better than Skippy's peanut butter LOL.

Hey, what are your setups for the 7th? Don't know what you are thinking, or what you may have done already as far as a rod purchase, but you would really like the Ugly Stik Tiger rods. The medium version at 7 foot would suit you to a T (rated at 20-50 pounds). Plenty of backbone and you could still play around with them flatheads like you do with the channels! Seriously, check it out...That's a Tiger now, not the regular Ugly Stik. Just looking out for you some more big guy...:cool2:

9. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Probably not going to make it. Have a commitment that night. I'm going to do my best to sneak away late, but the odds are very low. Good luck to you all!!!

Dan