Here it is fellas

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by wbtfish, Dec 22, 2007.

1. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Left Thursday night, drove to Dutch Gap area, got boat, in the water by 10 PM. Caught plenty of bait just up from DB. Set up on first hole by 11 or so. Ten minutes later pole goes down. I let my buddy get it since he's never caught a big one down there. He grabs the rod from the holder and fights for a couple of minutes, I won't repeat the words he was saying, finally got the fish to the surface. I was ready with the net, netted it, weighed it, photo-ed it, then released it. 58 lbs.. Not bad for his first James river blue. Sat on the same hole til 5 or so in the morning putting two more citations in the boat, 31 and 37. Got some more bait at DB, went back to main river, set up on another spot and BAM!!!, a 50 and a 42. Went to another spot and caught a 49 lber. Last spot was near the barge bits and it gave up a 47 lber. Was off the water by 2 pm. I have never tried fishing at night in the winter, but it paid off. it was really cold, but it was worth it. was plannig on fishing today, but we got up this morning and looked at the American flag across the street next to Hooters and the wind had it stretched straight out. We decided not to fish so we went to Green Top, Gander Mountain and Ed's Marine. Turned out to be a really nice day for catfishing though. Oh well. Will post the pics as soon as I can get him to download and E-mail them to me. I hope everyone had a good day as well.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Now I am excited. I can't wait to see the pictures. Thanks for the great report.:big_smile:

3. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Great report. Can't wait for the pictures.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great job Berkley. Looks like you picked a great time to be on the river. A guy I know went out Friday and got a 58, but that was it for the day. A bunch of us were out Saturday, one boat got a 48, but dinks for the rest of us.:angry: My big fish was a 24. Thought I had a 40 by the way the current was ripping. Think I might try again Monday if I'm up to it.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Here is the 24:

Attached Files:

6. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    Coming to the James Sat., I have never been there. Thought about trying Hopewell. Is that a good start or Dutch gap or Deep Bottom. Could use any info.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Berkley thanks for sharing your fishing trip. Sounds like you had one heck of a trip. Look forward to seeing some pics. Merry Christmas.:big_smile:

8. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Glad you had a great trip!

9. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Here are a few pictures to start off with.

Attached Files:

10. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Here's a few more.

Attached Files:

11. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Here are two more.

Attached Files:

12. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    They sure are some nice blues. Hope we do that well. Awesome pics.

13. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    nice fish. i hope to be up that way soon to start feeling my way around. thanks for sharing. james

14. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    nice fish everybody
    chip

15. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like you had a great day congrats. Thanks for sharing your trip and pics.

16. King Catfisherman

King Catfisherman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    is that kingcatfisherman with that 58 pd blue:smile2:

17. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I do believe so!

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on a great day out! Nice looking fish also!