Here Is One For You Trappers

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Ace, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Who knows any thing about these traps.One has Triple Clutch on the pan.
    The other has Victors on the pan with a big { V } If anyone knows what size they are and what animal size they would be good for.The trap length on the Clutch is 10 inches .The trap length on the Victor is 17 inches across the springs.I will upload some pics it will be in to post.

:0a21:

:cat:

2. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Who knows any of these traps.

:0a21:

3. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well it looks to me like they are on the floor of your cattoon, so that only means one thing to me, their (CATFISH TRAPS) Hu , but i can't figure where to put the cut-bait...:big_smile: :lol: :roll_eyes: :eek:oooh: ........

4. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I guess you're right.Don't look like any one else knows.

:sure:

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I can only guess about the victor. I know absolutely nothing about the other one.

The victor looks like a #2 double long spring to me. It would be good on game up to the size of foxes & possibly bobcats/coyotes. I wouldn't bet too heavy on the bobcats or coyotes staying in that trap though.

Jerrod

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My, my.....give a trapper a chance :tounge_out: lol, patience is a virtue Ace :big_smile: Ok, I'm done yankin' your chain now...lol

The Victor is a #4 Double longspring, worth? $10 probably, unless you advertise it on Ebay as "vintage" lol

As far as usage on the Vics, at one time probably beaver, coyote, and similar critters. Use today would depend on spring strength. Regulations also determine the use of traps with offset jaws (have a gap between the jaws), anything set on land here (Indiana) #3 & larger, must have offset jaws.

The Triple Clutch are Triumphs. Cant tell, does the pan read "3XK", and I can't see under the jaws, but do they have lugs (teeth)?

I'll wait for your reply before I add more. The Triumphs have alittle more value than the Vics, in case you wondered.

Smitty

7. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
  8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ace- Just to give you alittle more info (after reading for a few minutes) The Triumph (like many trap manufacturers) had an interesting history. They were even involved in a couple of lawsuits with the Oneida company in the early 1900's.

From best I can tell, the Triumph Trap Co. was officially dissolved (New York) on December 15, 1936, so I'd say this trap obvioulsy has to be older than that.

I'd be interested in any other information you could read from the pan. Just don't scratch it up with sandpaper trying to read it.

Smitty

9. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Trapper thanks for the info I will try to get some more info of the pan and get back to you thanks.

:0a31:

10. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You're more than welcome Ace! I guess 1 of the lawsuits was because Triumph was using the word "Oneida" on their traps ("Oneida Game Trap Company"). The judge upheld the ruling for the Oneida Co. (against Triumph), and Triumph had to go back & re-stamp their pans (right over the top of the word "Oneida")

Shortly after, Triumph filed suit against Oneida because they claimed Oneida stold 1 of their spring designs (Triumph wom the case).

At one time, Triumph offered a "trappers kit". It contained 12 traps, a trap placer, a skinning gambrel, 3 stretchers, and 2 trapping books......cost was $5.

From best I can tell, Triumps production run time was about 5.5 years, and produced alittle more than 4.5million traps.

Again, some of the history behind some of these old traps & thier makers are pretty interesting. I bet if you looked on Ebay you might get a value of the trap.

Thanks!
    Smitty