Here is my plan

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by justwannano, Feb 4, 2009.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Gonna start tomorrow--or maybe this weekend--lol

I'm gonna replace my transom -- again. I should have raised it 3" last year when I replaced it due to rot. I'm told that if I raise it those 3 inches it will increase my performance. I've got experience this time. lol

I'm gonna put rails on my trailer to guide the boat on. I've got them made just gotta drill and bolt them on.

I want to install a plank walkway along the center of the trailer. I might not need it what with the guide rails but it seems like a good idea anyway. You guys that have them--Do you use anything to make it non-slip?

Painting the trailer would be nice but I had better stop here. Might not have enough time--I hope, I hope, I hope.

The best 2ya
    just

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If possible for the walk plank I would use a type of expanded or corrugated metal tread step. I seen a guy at the river last year that had one, I would say that loading a boat by yourself this would make it easier and dryer.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I made a walkway for my trailer last year, and i use it for a couple of ramps here. Its nice when my boat doesn't want to come off the trailer, or when there is no dock for me to walk down to pull the boat off. Just make it wider than you think you need. I made mine out of 2x8, and it looked good on the ground, but with my little trailer, it wobbles a lot and i wish i had gone 2x10 or 2x12. I just used a piece of pine and Thompson Water Sealed it. I hadn't had any problems slipping off, but you could always paint it and put some sand down on the wet paint....or i've even heard of finely crushed walnut shells.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you use wood for your plank walkway i would throw some sand on it and the use some fiber-glass resin to seal it. it will last longer and will add strength to the wood. just MHO. or you can use some non skid which would also work just as well.

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Last trailer I had I used the aluminium grating you would see like on the back of a road tractor for the catwalk behind the cab. Strong and lite, yet very good for traction so you don't slip. I used u-bolts to attach and secure it up.

Just a thought.