Here is a drag i made in fab class

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by field989, Feb 23, 2007.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    [​IMG]

its not the best.... but i am gonna buy some more rebar and make a few more... maybe even try to sell a few of em....

this bad boy weighs in at around 5lbs

the next ones i make will be better and maybe even heavier : )

so what do yall think of this.....
    think they would sell for around 5 bucks?

Thanks

Jeff

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Jeff, I think you did a fine job on the drag but all you really need is like two J hooks back to back and twisted a little. Look in some of the trapper supply or trapping magazines to get an idea of what they look like. The weight is not as important as how good the drag will hook up and tangle in brush or tall weeds to get your target animal out of site which is the main reason for the drag. The second reason is where you have ground that you can't stake solid in. You don't have to worry about losing the animal, just look at the dirt dragged out of the hole to see in which direction the animal went.

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
  4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well it helps preserve ur set that u made and it also hides the animal from people... like lets say u trap near a road... or well where people could see ur catches from the road.. well after the animal is cought and there is a drag on it the animal will go for cover... hiding its self

also if u trap in very rocky soil and staking is not a option... its a alternative

Jeff

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    oh, okay, thankyou very much!

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    Your welcome

any other questions?

Jeff

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No questions here but Id like to add that almost anything can be used as a drag I have used old window weights with sucessas long as it will LEAVE a mark to follow and hang up so the catch is not lostI make mine from 1/2" smooth rod with the points opposing so no matter which way it flips there will be a drag mark to follow and the drag will eventually hang them.
    they weigh about a half pound

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I worked for Texaco and Shell Oil in Paraguay doing oil exploration in the late 70's. Fur was at an all time high. We were cutting siesmic lines all over what was then virgin countryside. I caught foxes, ocelots, geofreys cat, pumas, and two jaguars. Me and the four other guys in camp that trapped all used drags made from hardwood twisted branches about as thick as your wrist. The underbrush in the Paraguayan Chaco is thick, full of vines and thorns. The drags weighed 4-8 pounds. I never lost a puma or a jaguar. The big cats would go up the trail a ways then try to cut over in the brush. They never made it more than 10 yards before they were hopelessly hung up. They were easy to find too. If the wind was right, they would smell you before you heard the chain rattle and start growling from deep in their chests'. Used to make every hair on my head stand straight up. We would hog tie the pumas and turn them loose as the fur had no value, a jaguar brought $400, ocelots $150, Geofrey's cat $90, foxes $35. The good old days.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    and here I thought you made a drag for a fishing reel. lol ooops.